Thursday, September 15, 2016

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- September 2016

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day surprised me this month. Usually I have my post ready to go and publish automatically on the fifteenth, but the month is passing more swiftly than I realized. I awoke yesterday morning with a full-blown migraine, which lessened overnight. When I realized it was Bloom Day, I thought maybe I would just let it pass me by for once -- until I actually picked up the camera and went out the door.

So, here's what I found today blooming in my garden.

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' -- the bees adore it and it never fails me

Variegated low-growing campion -- possibly Silene uniflora 'Druett's Variegated'

This campion is thriving in straight gravel -- so drought-tolerant, I really should spread it around

A last couple of Cupid's Dart flowers

Fuchsia magellanica flowers all season and is so fantastically hardy -- why don't I have more of this?

Fuchsia magellanica aurea with its golden-tipped new foliage

Fuchsia magellanica aurea

Rudbeckia

There are a few bedraggled Monarda that look like a hummingbird war zone

Oakleaf Hydrangea is producing just a couple of new flowers, all the rest are now dried and buff-colored

Geranium 'Rozanne'

Eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy'

California poppies are still flowering here and there

Lavender flowering out by the street -- so wonderfully drought tolerant, I took cuttings the other day so I can grow more

One last Brugmansia flower

Alstroemeria 'Rock n' Roll'

Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer'

Every year I intend to save seeds from my Calendula 'Solar Flashback' and every year I neglect to do it

Iochroma 'Ashcott Red'

Pelargonium sidoides -- I took a lot of cuttings to root last year at this time, and the mother plant has bounced back
Aloe 'Christmas Carol'
Panicum virgatum

Anamanthele lessoniana

Pennisetum 'Redhead'

Well, that's it for me! I hope you still have plenty of flowers to share in your own Bloom Day posts.

Carol at My Dreams Gardens hosts GBBD, check out her post here and see lots of flowers from all around the world.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you got out and took photos, and that your migraine passed quickly. I was afraid I was starting to get one earlier this week as I started spreading bark chips, but managed to nip it in the bud. Your post reminds me I still need to get one of those Alstroemeria 'Indian Summers'. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    Love the 'Rock n Roll' 'Indian summer' and Solar Flashback'
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Panicum is coloring up wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see your Eucomis bloom, not a single one of mine flowered this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh - I hate migraines. Hope yours is gone by now, Alison. I'm with you on the Fuchsia magellanica. I absolutely love them - they are total rock stars! Love the little Cupid's Dart flowers too - they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are completely recovered Alison.You were well rewarded when you went in your garden to take photographs, so many beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are fully recovered from the migraine monster. Ugggg...so sorry, Miss Alison. Your photos are lovely, they reveal nothing of your suffering. You and Anna both feature Fuchsia magellanica this week...great minds? And the Pelargonium is looking great, I appreciate the cuttings - they are almost all blooming themselves here in their happy new home so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many lovely blooms! Many of them are new to me, probably plants that don't do so well in my zone 5b garden. I'm especially envious of the fuschia--wish I could grow it here. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's probably the prettiest Calendula I've ever seen, Alison. I love the Alstroemeria too - and the Sedum and the Eucomis. As to the fuchsia, I have to keep reminding myself that planting one here is a death sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damned migraines! Sorry that you were in pain but you captured some gorgeous blooms nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your clump of Sedum. My 'Rozanne' has gone dormant, which doesn't seem right. Sorry about the migraine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Calendula is gorgeous. I am growing that same Pelargonium but need to read up on how to take cuttings. Such a great flower color.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.