Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- November 2014

Because we are still well and truly caught in the grip of an icy Alaskan cold front, the flowers out in the garden are few and far between. There are some, however, and I hope you all appreciate that I froze my heinie off searching for them.

Abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope'

One cardoon flower peaks out from behind enormous serrated leaves.

A handful of large clumps of Alyssum have somehow escaped the freeze.

Clematis

Penstemon 'Tubular Bells'

Mahonia x meadia 'Charity' bloom spikes have started opening at the bottom.

And, in the greenhouse, where the temperature was a little more hospitable:

NOID Abutilon

Aloe glauca (the second bloom it has produced this fall)

Aloe glauca (the third bloom, and there is a 4th peaking out down in the rosette)

Abutilon 'Red Tiger'

This single Brugmansia flower has opened since I moved it into the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago, and it is perfuming the air beautifully.

But there are plenty more waiting to open.

I hope even if you are dealing with below freezing temperatures, that you've managed to find some blooms too.

Carol of May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the 15th of every month. Check out her November post here, and please take some time to visit some of the other bloggers who leave links to their own Bloom Day posts.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for braving the cold to bring us Bloom Day Blossoms.

    Isn't it nice to have fragrance in the greenhouse when it's cold outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still an impressive collection Alison, and considerably a lot more than what we have at the moment in our garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Mahonia, as well as all the greenhouse blooms. Stay warm Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mahonia 'Charity' is on my wish list, it is great. The Aloe flowers look so wonderful against the peachy Canna leaves. The greenhouse is coming to good use, I hope it doesn't cost a lot to heat. Do you have some heat sinks in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a better blogger than I, I cheated and took my photos before the freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I' m not sure what a heinie is but it sounds very uncomfortable, so thanks for the glimpse of what you have in your garden in November. I have abutilons in the greenhouse too, but nothing as lovely as your Red Tiger. I love your Brugmansias too, they are still looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you've regained the circulation into your nether regions Alison. Thanks ever so much for braving it for us.
    Every blog I've visited thus far today seems to have an Abutilion or two in bloom, I am not really familiar with this species but I feel I need to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely.....as you can guess, Massachusetts weather is killing everything outside. It always amazes me to see such beauty still thriving outside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was worth the sacrifice Alison!
    Abelia looks so pretty and far too delicate to be surviving out there in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blooms outside and in the greenhouse, too!
    Have a beautiful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciate you going out to the cold to show us your flowers...they look pretty good even with that terrible frost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been busy cleaning up messes out in the yard, and forgot to look for bloomers. I'll have to change my ways and notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some lovely things still blooming despite the cold temps! I'm ready for some warmer temperatures to return. Can't believe that it's still autumn and we're already tired of winter. Oh well, the greenhouse is such a source of comfort when everything outside is frozen! I especially like your Abutilon 'Red Tiger' and now that I have a safe place to keep one during the winter, I'll look for one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your personal sacrifice is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In spite of the cold Alaskan air, you have still got a lot of beautiful flowers. Your greenhouse must be a lovely place to be with all the perfumes mingling!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.