Sunday, November 16, 2014

Foliage Followup, November 2014 -- Foliage, Berries, Water and Stone at Kubota Garden

All the foliage in my own garden right now is either mush, or shriveled and brown, so there's not much to see there. Therefore, for Foliage Followup, I thought I'd share some photos I took recently of a visit to Kubota Garden. I went there a couple of weeks ago looking for some pretty fall foliage, and guess what? I found some!

Kubota Garden is the former private garden of Fujitaro Kubota, a Japanese emigrant and self-taught gardener, now a 20-acre public park in the Rainier Beach neighborhood of South Seattle. Kubota's vision for his private garden involved melding Japanese design with Pacific Northwest plants. Kubota also designed the Japanese garden at the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island. Read more about the history of Kubota Garden here.

The entrance

Lots of colorful fallen leaves

There were plenty more still on the trees





Fallen, lichenous twig






Kubota must be a popular hangout for au pairs and their charges, I encountered quite a few young women with children.







Japanese maple leaves caught in a small-leaved shrub (possibly a boxwood?)




I kept crossing paths with this little girl, and couldn't resist taking her photo when she stuck her head inside the bell.

I hope you enjoyed coming along with me to Kubota Garden. Foliage Followup is the brainchild of Pam Penick who writes the blog Digging. You can read her FF post here, and remember to check out the FF posts of all the other bloggers who leave links in the comments.

18 comments:

  1. Those Acers are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garden! One of our tractors and an RTV are named Kubota, obviously not the same family as Mr. Fujitaro Kubota but some fine machinery.

    The Kubota Garden is obviously designed to be lovely in every season. What a gift to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is neat! I'm glad you posted your excellent photos. New garden, new plants for me. I especially like the kinda orangey, kinda weepy maple(?). Behavior is not new, however. One of my favorite local gardens, Descanso in La Canada Flintridge, is filled with nannies and babies and small flocks of children in day care being herded around on weekdays. Noisy. Not peaceful at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is so full of beautiful color, I don't know how not to love it! Thanks for the wonderful tour! I think your boxwood lookalike might be an ilex crenata of some sort (hellerii?). They look a lot alike, take well to pruning, but don't smell like cat pee. I like them much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acers, beautiful all year round but has a special moment in the autumn. Clever to feature this lovely garden for the foliage follow up Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was this your first visit to Kubota? Such a beautiful place, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful. And I learned a new word. Lichenous. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, Alison! I only learned about Kubota Gardens in the last year. I'm looking forward even more to visiting after seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful! I knew it would be from the first photo at the entrance. It makes fallen leaves look like an art installation. Thanks for sharing your visit, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous and enjoyed seeing it through your lens. The fallen acer leaves on the evergreens are fantastic, wonderful way to see the garden this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I photographed Kubota Garden last year at the end of October. It was glorious!
    You can find it on my side bar if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy the fallen leaves on evergreens and conifers...especially how yours' are damp. The Black Mondo Grass growing around the stone bowl is stunning. Your fall seems to extend on even longer than ours does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful place to visit, so many different colours and textures of the leaves. Certainly put together by a very keen gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's easy to get discouraged, walking about one's own garden after wind, rain and ice. You found the perfect pick-me-up, and were kind enough to share it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an absolutely gorgeous garden. The second picture of red berries looks like hawthorn - is it? And what are the beautiful shiny red ones in the first picture of red berries?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Alison! I've heard about this place, but haven't been there. I think such a garden looks good any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...self taught gardener? the garden he achieved is impressive! It looks beautiful. And fall color is always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't believe that I have yet to visit this place that's so close! It looks lovely and your reflection pictures are especially stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.