Thursday, May 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, May 2014

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and May is embarrassing in its richness. How do I resist the urge to show every flower in all its glory?

Pacific Coast Iris


Last spring (a year ago) when I divided and replanted my PCIs, I lost track of what was what. Somehow I managed to put the right color Iris with the right Heuchera.


The lines act as guide lines for bees, leading them into the flower where they'll find pollen. I watched as one bee flitted from flower to flower, doing just that.

Two more fortuitous plant combos:

Antique rose PCI with Gold Heart Dicentra, a gold-spotted Farfugium and a gold-edged Hosta.

Gold and burgundy PCI ensnared by a bronze-leaved Carex

Nearby in the shade garden:

Diphyllea cymosa

Podophyllum pleianthum

Arisaema triphyllum

Sinopodophyllum hexandrum

And in the sun (of which we've had a lot lately):


Rheum palmatum

A PNW native Delphinium

Geum triflorum (grown from seed a few years ago)

Hardy Geranium Vision Light Pink (also grown easily from seed), flowering right now throughout my garden in great quantities

And in other parts of the garden:

Enkianthus

Lewisia


Aquilegia 'Clementine Red'

Thalictrum ichangense


Lewisia in the gravel garden

Trillium

Rosemary

Camassia and yellow Corydalis

Verbsacum phaeum


Centaurea montana



Aquilegia

Allium

Lonicera involucrata

A few last Epimedium flowers

Anthriscus sylvestris and Ostrich fern

Tiarella

Shrubby Clematis

The wall that runs along the border between my garden and my neighbor Mary's is looking quite lush and colorful. That's not weeds at the base, it's this year's California poppies, sprouted from the seeds produced by last year's plants.

Further down on that same wall, Saponaria ocymoides and Geranium macrorhizum

Ninebark (you can see the shrub in the previous photo far at the back on the right)

That's not everything, I could go on and on. But it's enough.

Carol Michel at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Go to her post here, and check out all the other posts from bloggers around the world who are celebrating their flowers.

25 comments:

  1. Wow! It is, indeed, looking so full and beautiful. And there are a few places I don't recognize, like the "rusty" orb (delphinium picture).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't May grand? Your garden is full of glorious blooms! Everything is looking great, the fruit of all the work you've been doing! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful combination of blooms! You have an amazing garden. Your May is our June.....I can hardly wait.....Happy GBBD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your May garden is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what June brings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Alison your iris combos are to die for! And your Rheum palmatum is blooming white! Mine is pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I love your border garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The iris/heuchera combo is to die for! I really love the Enkianthus too. For some reason, I can't get all of the photos to load.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Alison, you have so many wonderful flowers! An embarrassment of riches indeed. Your PCI combinations, whether the result of instinct or luck, are beautiful. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a refuge your yard must be! I love your irises-I don't know if I've ever seen any the color of your Pacific Coast ones-beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Alison, such a gorgeous selection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know the feeling, of going months without flowers and then you have so many to choose from. I loved all of your color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many gorgeous flowers and combinations. What a sight your garden must be now. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison, so many gorgeous blooms! May has been a great month for the garden. I love all your PCI. The starts you gave me last year have bloomed and I just love them. I love them so much, I want to dedicate a garden for them. Your foliage and bloom combinations are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't exactly know how I found your blog but I am glad I did! We grow similar plants on different parts of the country! Love your close-ups! I am going outside with the camera and my mud boots to get a good shot of my Jack in the pulpit! I can't ever seem to get that one right reason why it was not included in my post yesterday! Love love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I look at a PNW garden blog I think I need to live there. Such an interesting variety of plants!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of gorgeous flowers! I'm still lusting after the Pacific Coast irises but when they are for sale they are not in bloom and I can't choose. I'll have to try to get over to Aitken's and see if I can see some. I looked up the Enkianthus, it is surprisingly hardy, maybe I will have to put it on my list. The Centaurea photos and macros are great, such a pretty color and so feathery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful selection of spring plants. Love those wall plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun! You have some wonderful bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alison, your garden is a living rainbow! What an incredible amount of colour.
    I can't possibly leave without commenting on those Iris - serious Iris envy going on here!!
    Your garden is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful! You have so many goodies. I wish I could come and stroll round your garden, you have so many interesting and unusual plants. In fact you have so many things I have never seen. Your dear little Thalictrum for instance. And I have never seen that gorgeous Geranium.I love your Irises and the Iris- Heuchera combo is fabulous. Lovely plants and your photos are always superb.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are the color-echo queen. How you partnered plant colors here is pure genius. I love every single photo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your plant-buying expeditions and seed starting projects are really paying off. What a glorious array. Love the Thalictrum ichangense. The PCI i got from you is blooming and I couldn't have asked for a better color. Do you hear me saying "Good morning, Alison" as I pass it on the way to get the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything looks just incredible! I LOVE the lewisia in the colander! I may have to give that a try. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad I scrolled down to see your GBBD post. You have some lovely blooms there! Your shrubby clematis reminds me of my Fremont's clematis. Mine sometimes get floppy. Does this one? I think it was you who said you wish your clumps of Prairie smoke geum were larger, and you wondered if you should move some to plant them together. I have found that they don't like to be transplanted all that well, and take awhile to recover. Also, they are just slow growers, and it took awhile for my clump to reach that size.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mid May garden is stunning....so many favorites but I love those iris at the top of the post

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.