Friday, May 16, 2014

Foliage Followup, May 2014

Foliage Followup takes place on the 16th of every month, the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and its purpose is to celebrate the unique contribution that foliage brings to the garden. I'm sharing some of my favorites.

Hosta leaf and raindrops from a few days ago

Pulsatilla seedhead, technically not really foliage, but not a flower either

Diphyllea cymosa

The smaller mottled leaves are from Sinopodophyllum hexandrum, which have pushed up through the solid green lower leaves of a Hellebore.

Podophyllum pleianthum

Podophyllum delavayi

P. delavayi closeup

Himalayan maidenhair fern, Epimedium wushanense, and variegated Hosta

Canna 'Tropicanna' in the tropical front garden

Purple smoke bush and Clematis foliage

Bowles' Golden Sedge and 'Palace Purple' Heuchera

Pam Penick at the blog Digging hosts Foliage Followup. You can read her post here, and also check out the links commenters leave to their foliage posts.

15 comments:

  1. You have so many interesting leaves, Alison. And leaf combos, like that smokebush/clematis one. I need to get cracking on a more foliage photos myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous, Alison, I love the yellow purple color combinations. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your foliage is looking exquisite! How do you not have slug holes in everything like I do? Glad to see that your Sinopodophyllum hexandrum made it as last time I visited your garden this spring you were worried that it hadn't made an appearance yet. You've made some great foliage combinations! I'm still potting up and planting out the pot ghetto, a never ending task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Peter said great foliage combinations!

    So tell me, that Canna 'Tropicanna' was newly purchased this year right? Or wait, maybe from your greenhouse? My canna foliage is all still just tiny...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diphyllea cymosa was one of my favorite plants that I learned about during my time in Massachusetts. I love the big leaves and especially love when the flower stems turn red with their blue berries.

    Your Podophyllum delavayi is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the geometric leaves of the Podophyllum pleianthum! The red coloration on the leaves of the canna are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the Hostas! That Tropicana canna is wonderful in leaf, just wait until it blooms! I am crazy for purple foliage.

    You asked about the broken pot. Scroll all the way to the bottom of Seedscatterer and there is an index with a link to some better pics of my broken pot before it was all filled in. I stuck some hyacinth bulbs in and pulled them when the blooms finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobody does foliage like those of you in the PNW! I salivated over every plant and I love the smoke bush-clematis combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a fan of the smoke bush combo too Alison. Everything looks so lush - the Canna foliage is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photographs, lovely foliage. The podophyllums are gorgeous, do they need damp conditions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff. I especially like the Podophyllum and Diphyllea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks so vibrant and healthy. And your canna is far ahead of mine which are just showing peaking out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your impressive talents are on display here: grower, designer, photographer. I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.