Monday, May 26, 2014

First Brug

Every morning when I prepare to drive Nigel to the train station for his morning commute, as the garage door rises, I give the front garden a very quick survey of my sweeping gaze. On Mother's Day weekend, I had moved all of my Brugmansias out into the gravel garden. A couple of days ago, I noticed the first Brugmansia flower had opened.

First Brug
 
Two more flowers opened the next day
It's easy to get lost in the ins and outs of such a beautiful, and beautifully scented, flower.







More buds waiting to open

There are no buds yet on my other three. Surely they won't let themselves be outdone by this variegated one? I'll have to start applying The Fecund Lens to them, although truthfully, these heavy feeders will probably respond more to some fertilizer. But we won't tell them that. It's the Helicopter Gardening (like Helicopter Parenting, i.e. parents who hover constantly) that does it.

12 comments:

  1. Soooo gorgeous and that fragrance is fabulous. Lovely images.

    I lost my ten year old 'Charles Grimaldi' over the winter but still have four large brugs left. They are only just breaking dormancy at the moment but I'm looking forward to those beautiful flowers in another month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ahead of me, but I have fat buds on the only one to bifurcate so far.

    Every one of them finally came back from roots. They're best viewed at night when they first open and the fragrance is so heady you swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY! there's nothing like that scent! At night our patio smells like candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos Alison, I love the pleats of the blossoms against the ripples of the metal culvert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I have a 'Charles Grimaldi' in a pot but it lost all its leaves when we had high winds. It's now in a more protected spot so my fingers are crossed I'll get blooms like yours one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is just the start of many a blooms this year Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been out six times since dark to see if my brug bud had unfurled. No.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! The fragrance, the look, everything appeals to me. Mine won't be blooming for a while yet as I stored them dormant in the basement. Some years I cheat and buy a new small one in bloom early in the season to enjoy. Happy brugmansia blooms pal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful. I am always seduced by the beauty, but afraid I wouldn't be able to care for it properly. But I love the "bells" hanging down like that. I should just take the plunge and get one, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how excited I am to see that you can grow these. I just assumed that it was too cool there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are gorgeous and I don' t know how you get them to flower so early. When I have tried to grow them they just started flowering with the first frosts which cut them down. Do you keep them frost free over winter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat. The ones I keep in-ground outside aren't even close to blooming yet, but my 'Rhapsody' in a big pot has a couple of buds. I wish I could keep mine in a greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.