Saturday, June 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- June 2013

Our host for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, Carol Michel, has named her blog May Dreams Gardens, subtitled "All year I dream of the days of May when the sun is warm, the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the garden is all new again!" My garden, here in the state of Washington, doesn't reach that state of nirvana until at least June (and I often have to wait until July for blue sky). I don't know if I just need to plant more early spring bloomers, but right now, finally, everything is busting out all over! And there's still more flowers to come.

Dichelostemma congestum

Dichelostemma 'Pink Diamond'

Dichelostemma ida maia
A nice view of my brand new foxgloves blooming in front of a classical fiberglass sculpture. But to get this view you actually have to crawl under the hazelnut on hands and knees and crouch down and shoot in relative darkness.


 
Dancing white poppies in the front garden, stand relatively straight in good western sunshine.


Red poppies, in the back garden with less sun, flop all over. I did buy supports for them at the Flower Show back in February, brought them home and put them away somewhere safe. Then when I needed them, I couldn't find them.

My native Lilium columbianum just started blooming this week. I'm wondering if I can divide it in the fall and spread it around a bit. It's gone a bit sprawly.



My peonies are finally opening too.

PNW Native Philadelphus lewisii is also just starting to bloom. The shrub is enormous and absolutely covered in buds.

Iris chrysographes, a recent purchase

Tradescantia, another recent purchase

All kinds of Dianthus are blooming. They're real workhorses in the garden, and grow so easily from seed.


'Arctic Fire'

 'Pop Star'

 'Whetman Pink'


Styrax japonicus in the gravel garden has produced lots of little white, bell-shaped flowers



Eryngium zabelii 'Big Blue'

Eryngium with its bright orange companion, Kniphofia

Stipa gigantea, planted in the gravel garden last year, has produced a few tall seedheads
I have three Dactylorhiza hybrids, aka marsh orchid or spotted orhcid, one that I bought last year and never planted out, and then two more that I bought at the Rhododendron Species Garden Plant Sale earlier this spring. I have them planted together, but each is just slightly different from its neighbors.




Clematis 'Amethyst Beauty'

Hardy Geranium 'Vision Light Pink,' sown a couple of winters ago, against the large, dark foliage of Ligularia 'Osiris Fantaisie'

Penstemon, possibly 'Tubular Bells'

Ornamental Oregano 'Kent Beauty'

Allium 'Globemaster'

Nasturtium 'Alaska' grown from direct-sown seed

I don't know the name of this flower, but it's bright and cheerful, and a good note to end on!

Check out May Dreams Gardens here, for even more posts with pictures of flowers from all around the world.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you have so many comment-worthy blooms! Those alliums! That dark purple iris! The eryngium! Wonderful. And thank you for crawling to get that shot of the foxgloves--it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that a few bars from a song from "Oklahoma" I heard as I came in? June, June, June, June....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is just gorgeous...it is sooo hot here...and your photos are just lovely and I really like the wall plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Allison, I think I completely forgot everything before and after the Iris chrysographes...so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great, as usual for your garden, but the most interesting to me is the Eryngium zabalii, do you know if it is a relative of the thistle?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it's not surprising that we have some of the same natives in bloom today, but it feels kind of cozy, somehow! I'll be interested to hear how it goes if you divide your Lilium columbianum. I love the shot of that gorgeous blue eryngium with the kniphofia in the foreground - a stunning color combo. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing June blooms and so many...I love the native lilium and all those poppies and foxgloves...I am still a cottage garden flower lover at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Love the iris and the poppies. There was a beautiful specimen of the snowbell tree where we stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those black and white poppies are amazing! And the Eryngium makes me salivate - it is such a cool plant! I also love the dark stems of the marsh orchids You have so many pretty flowers, it is very hard to pick a favorite!

    So - you are the one to whom I owe a big Thank You for the honey suckle! I'm so sorry - I thought it was Peter! He was the one who talked me into taking it, so I assumed it came from him. Just goes to show, that one should never assume anything...! Well, thank you - I love it! And I would love to share my Saxifrage with you - it would look great in your beautiful garden. Let me know if you are coming down this way, and I will send you home with some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got a way with the poppies, Andrew loves them and wishes they grew in our garden but everyone I touch instantly dies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty pretty bloom June, and a lovely selection you have. And those white poppies looks sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those white poppies. I'm going to have to look for some of those. And figure out where to put them, ha! That iris is something else too. It all looks lovely Alison. And yes, I will definitely see and talk to you in S.F.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have an enviable assortment of gorgeous blooms. I am swooning over your poppies, especially the white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very intrigued with the 'Amethyst' Clemmy. Very unusual. Makes me think I need to have it. Oh...so many plants, so little space. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Dichelostemma ida maia really caught my eye! Love it and the other Dichelostemma you shared as well. If I could figure out a spot for a Styrax I would do it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.