Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Pretty Corner of My Garden

I see this right now every time I go through the gate from the back garden to the front.

'Black Beauty' Elderberry with an unknown Geranium (I knew at one time, but I've lost the tag)



With another unknown Geranium, Mukdenia 'Crimson Fans' in the bottom right, and on the left, Snowberry foliage


As I was bending down to get these shots, I heard the characteristic low thrumming of hummingbird wings, and looked up to see one hovering very close by, about 3 feet away. I didn't want to startle it by raising the camera suddenly, I just wanted to experience the moment. I was wearing a pink shirt, and I think it was looking me over to see if I was actually an enormous swath of pink flowers!

I love my garden right now. Despite all the planting and digging and moving of plants, and the watering, and all the backache that goes with that, it really is such a restful place to just sit with a cup of coffee and a book.

12 comments:

  1. Have a rest ...enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great time of the year to enjoy your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful and pleasant combinations. It's nice to take a moment all to yourself and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the different parts of your garden..it seems to go on and on with beauty at every bend. Your hard work is really paying off.

    Enjoy this beautiful weather. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love that pink geranium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pretty corner indeed Alison, and glad to know you're enjoying your garden at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very pretty corner, lovely in fact. That elderberry and geranium are a very fine combination, who would have thought? The 'Black Beauty' foliage is unusual in shape for an elderberry, in addition to the striking color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the combo, and how it all displays against your fence. I had a similar experience with a hummingbird the other day. It is such a wonderful thing when it happens - it sort of grounded me for the rest of the day. Completely made me feel at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alison, your garden is a marvelous spot. Love your foliage plants, some of which are almost foreign to me here on the eastern side of the Rockies. I can't wait to see SF and then Portland....you all have many unusual plants. Love the podophyllum..that one looks like Spotty Dotty...maybe?
    You have had some grand excursions over this spring. I envy you being so close to Heronwood. That dark leaf Elderberry is wonderful! Our native ones in the woods are blooming now....making me wish I had some in my garden.

    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "That is a very pretty corner, lovely in fact."

    Couldn't agree more.. Lovely blooms you have!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.