Friday, May 31, 2013

Washington Park's Japanese Garden in Portland


The Japanese Garden in Portland's Washington Park covers 5 1/2 acres in the hills west of the city.  Opened on June 1, 1967, it was built on the site of Portland's former zoo. The garden is on Sunset magazine's list of top 13 public gardens in the U.S.

It's a lovely garden, very peaceful and serene.




Wisteria was in bloom, hanging from a large arch that you enter through

















It can take up to 4 hours to rake this design into the sand. How do they do it without leaving footprints?

A view of Portland

Hope you enjoyed this peaceful walk through the greenery. Tomorrow: Lan Su Garden

3 comments:

  1. Wow, lovely photos of a most beautiful garden! I really love the waterfall and the pond surrounded by the JMs is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely my favorite of Portland's "public" gardens...you must try to visit in the fall...it's jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has got to be one of the loveliest gardens I have seen...if you hadn't said it was in Portland I would not have known that as it is out of this world. A place you can spend hours and hours relaxing...love the zen garden!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.