Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another Plant Comes Back From the Dead

One of my Brugmansias that I thought died over the winter is showing new growth from the roots. WooHoo! I made the mistake of putting my 3 Brugs in the unheated shed over the winter, instead of in the garage. I thought that they had all died.

New growth from the Brug's roots

Not so! It may not get big enough to bloom this year, but you never know. I was so bummed at thinking they were dead, but so thrilled last year when I finally saw flowers on mine, that I actually bought a new one not too long ago at Windmill Gardens nursery, labeled Charles Grimaldi. There's no sign of new growth on the other two, so they might really be dead, but I'll probably hang onto them for a little while longer, just in case.

And I won't make the mistake of over-wintering them in an unheated spot again.

7 comments:

  1. I think we had a pretty mild winter last year. We typically overwinter ours in the garage with the best results. We sometimes will put some in the hoop house that we keep around 28-32 lowest. We get botrytis since they do not really go dormant. We plant them in the yard once it is past frost and then dig them up in October. We dug ours after one frost in October and that was a little too late - they had some damage and were cut back. We're waiting to see if they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just never know, with some plants. I planted a bunch of Salvia 'Black & Blue' years ago...and when they still hadn't re-appeared by the following June, I was sure they were goners. Of course, they appeared in July. They do the same thing every year, except this year...they've been up since April this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brugs seem to take a lot of abuse. I've switched out many of my larger ones for Inca Sun which is much more consistent in blooming. People keep reminding me of how terribly toxic they are, but so are many other plants in the garden, not the least of which is monkshood. We just enjoy them and use other things in our salads! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news! It's so encouraging to see hardy plants emerging from the soil--even if it's later than we expected. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brugmansias are supposedly root hardy to zone 8 but when I've left mine in the ground, they've taken so long to come back that they don't bloom. Often they make it but slugs are VERY fond of that emerging foliage and often eat it before we notice it coming back. I'm glad that yours made it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! I hope your good luck rubs off on me. I've lost a number of plants over the winter, most notably my oriental lilies. I still hope there is some chance they will emerge.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.