Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

It Lives!

There is something interesting happening with the Opuntia pads that Loree of danger garden sent me last year, which I posted about here. I don't know enough about Opuntias to tell what they are, but both plants have these little tentacled things erupting on several spots! I don't think it's flowers, but could it be new pads?





If it's growing new pads, that means it's happy where I put it. And if it's happy, then I'm happy!

10 comments:

  1. mine are doing the same, happy Opuntias !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever the new growths are, they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure those are new pads which means your cactus is doing very well. There's only a slight difference between emerging flowers and pads at first but at this point the spines begin to unfurl and that's when you can tell. Very nice either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad Alison. Oh and I'm with Shirley on the pads vs. blooms question. Funny thing though the ones I have that are part of the same plant as yours aren't yet showing any signs of new growth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!!! I'm so glad your opuntia is happy and alive! I have one that is going to town doing the same thing right now. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's encouraging. My desiccated, soft, brown opuntia looks deader than dead, but I am going to go out and check for those little growths right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first one looks like a little crown. How cool are those little growths?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I often feel a burst of parental pride when a plant I have fussed over has a spurt of healthy growth.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.