Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - June 2012

For GBBD this month I have a combination of the usual and the unusual -- well, unusual for me anyway.

I have quite a few PNW natives flowering.

Dichelostemma ida-maia grows from a bulb.

There's a pinkish-lavender one too.

Brodiaea also grows from a bulb.

Castilleja/Indian Paintbrush is thriving this year, has lots of buds.

Allium cernuum/Nodding onion is not actually open yet, but I love the transparency of the flower bud.


Our native Physocarpus capitatus flowers are so pretty!

Trillium luteum (native to eastern North America) is still flowering way in the back in the shade.

And, in the realm of the usual:

Peony (sorry, no tag)

Dianthus, grown from seed winter sown three years ago, comes in such a wide variety of shapes and shades.







Geranium 'Vision Pink' was also winter sown three years ago, and is a favorite.

One of my beds is fronted by a swath of it.

Geranium 'Ballerina' purchased, not sown, is another favorite.

I just love the dark veins on the flowers.

There are only two flowers open so far on the rose campion, but there are plenty of buds!

This yellow Lupine is one of the few Lupines left in my garden, I pulled a bunch out last year because they were so infested with aphids.

In the realm of the unusual: Big foliage, big flowers

Gunnera flowers are pretty strange!

Astilboides tabularis is flowering next to Persicaria 'Red Dragon', but the plant itself is still quite small.

Rodgersia is flowering for the first time this year. I'm really happy with my clump!

'Jade Frost' Eryngium is flowering now, with subtle hints of blue in the flowers.

It's one of three types of Eryngium in the new gravel garden.

There is plenty more flowering, at this time of year I could keep going forever. But I think that's enough for now.

Check out May Dreams Garden, the host for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and see lots of other flowers blooming around the world.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Alison, you have been BUSY! I'm so impressed at your seed-sowing successes, and your gravel garden looks very promising. The gunnera is fabulous. Isn't this a wonderful month: lots of foliage and flowers without the need to water much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to come and stroll through your gardens! I think the first two photos are also called Firecracker bulbs..my husband purchased me all types of bulbs and I think I have this one.....almost ready to ship your tile... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aloha,

    what a fun tour of your garden, i loved that first native and what a long name ...you have alot of beautiful blooms in your garden, thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Allium cernuum is stunning at that stage…so amazing. Love the Geranium edging…so charming! I did the same with a bunch of Lupines…damn aphids! I only have 3 or so left…they seem to be slightly more resistant to them, for some reason. I'm jealous of your Rodgersia patch…it looks SO happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, beautiful blooms!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your Astilboides and Rodgersia are so far ahead of mine! Love the Gunnera...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever seen a Gunnera's flower, very cool!! I would like to put some Dichelostemma ida-maia in my garden. Saw some in a garden on a study trip in VA, what a cool bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoy seeing such different flowers from mine. Thank you and happy bloom day.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should have kept going. I was really enjoying myself, Alison. Great photos. I love all of your bloomers. Don't they just make you smile?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks great. I love your Dianthus. I'm happy to read it grew so well from seed. I have many places in my gardens that could benefit from that plant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have three Eryngiums? I've always loved their cool colors and look. Thanks for sharing your blooms!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.