Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Gig Harbor Garden Tour -- Part 2

Onward.

The Gardens of the Late Helen Munroe


I saw quite a few of these weeping conifers over the weekend. I want one. I want more conifers, but I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

Like the last garden in my previous post, this garden is on a cliff overlooking Puget Sound.
The view from the back garden

Roses and lavender (just starting to bloom) were a feature


I'm pretty sure this is thyme. It was swarming with bees.

At the side of the house was this oasis -- a wisteria-covered arbor and hot tub.


Right beside the hot tub was this pond and waterfall, with its moss-covered rocks

I saw quite a lot of this plant this past weekend too. It's Gaultheria shallon/Salal.

It's a PNW native which features these dainty little flowers and shiny leaves, but boy! In the right spot, it spreads. I love natives, but I'm afraid of this plant.

There is a major industry in this part of the U.S. that supplies cut Salal leaves for greenery in floral arrangements. You can find out more about Salal here.

Here was a nice contrast in leaf texture.

The hot tub/pond oasis as viewed from the side lawn. It's well hidden.

The Garden of Kathy and Brett Hayfield

To get to this garden, you had to park two streets away, and then follow the pink flamingos across a field.

Although the ambience of the cottage said "beach house," this garden again was on a cliff, with no actual beach access. 

But there was a pretty magnificent view (note the sign).



Love this conglomeration of birdhouses (more is more)!

A major feature of this garden was its repeated use of the color red.



I think they must also be fans of local garden guru Ciscoe Morris (that's his catchphrase).

Words to live (and garden) by