Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 2011 -- Wildflower Wednesday -- Trilliums, Trout Lilies, Columbine and Bleeding Heart


Crikey, it's cold out there this morning.
 Yes, to my eternal shame, I have grass!

Despite the cold, the natives are restless.

Me too. I'm out there every day, even in the rain showers, checking on their growth. The dog's tooth violets (Erythronium dens-canis), a wildflower native to Europe, are close to full flower, but not quite. By next month's Wildflower Wednesday, they'll be past. (Don't worry, I'll post pictures).

 She hides shyly behind a leaf

There, that's better!

"I'm ready for my close-up."
 
(Edit:) By 4 p.m. on the day I posted, my shy dog's tooth violet had opened


Her little sister waits nearby for her moment of glory

Ah! The sun turns the frost to dew

Fawn lily (Erythronium tuolomnense), a California native, is also close to flower. Two bulbs were bought and planted last Fall, but only one shows signs of life. The leaves are a bit chewed up, but thankfully so far the flower buds are safe.

 I don't think I posted about my Flower and Garden Show purchases. I bought several bare-root Trilliums, rather dry and dusty in their little plastic bags of moss. Looks like they were indeed alive.





Trillium recurvatum and Trillium sessile, pictured here, are not actually Pacific Northwest natives.  Last Spring I bought a couple of native Trillium ovatum, but I haven't seen any sign of them returning. (I'm not an authority on Trilliums and trout lilies, I just try to grow them.  For information, follow the live links by clicking on their names. And don't forget to click on my pictures to make them larger.)

Several patches of western bleeding hearts (Dicentra formosa), planted last Fall, are showing themselves. No sign of flowers yet, but hopefully by next month...





Western columbine (Aquilegia formosa), also planted last Fall, have shown up.




In other news, another wildflower, Oregon fleabane (Erigeron speciosus), sown inside a milk bottle cloche, is sprouting.

And (Trumpets Please!) at least one of my red flowering currants has flower buds!



Wildflower Wednesday is a blogging meme hosted by Gail Eichelberger's blog Clay and Limestone. It is "about sharing and celebrating wildflowers from all over this great big, beautiful world. Join us on the fourth Wednesday of each month. Remember, it doesn't matter if they are in bloom or not; and, it doesn't matter if we all share the same plants. It's all about celebrating wildflowers."

Follow the link to her blog to see more posts about wildflowers.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Alison. Such perfect pictures and delightful captions. I can feel your thrill and excitement as each of these beauties/new discoveries reveal themselves to you! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I can't get enough trilliums. At each plant sale I go to, I seem to buy a new one, or a few!
    How exciting to see the buds on the red flowering current. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I love Erythronium, the Leach Botanical Garden here in PDX has a ton of them and they should be blooming in the next few weeks...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't tell what I was looking at in the first photo, so I clicked to enlarge it. I laughed when I saw it was frost on grass. We'll probably have some of that in the next few mornings.

    Those little dog's tooth violets are sweeties!

    I had a guy who owns his own tree service out today, and he didn't think his equipment would handle it, so he passed on the job. I'm still waiting for the other people to come by. He did suggest getting as many as 7 estimates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you were able to enjoy the sun today!
    I need to buy Trout lilies next time I see them, they are such cute flowers. I just planted my new Trillium today, I'm not sure which type I have, I'll have to check tomorrow. The one I planted last year never came back. Yea for flower buds on the currant! I love watching the flowers open on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to see the Trout Lilies, blooming so prettily. They are some of my favorite of the Spring ephemerals. I am pleased to have you join the Wildflower Wednesday celebration....gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not had success with trillium's lasting more than one season :( I really need to get some native bleeding hearts. I really just need to make a list. haha! Hope you enjoyed the sunshine today! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, how nice to see flowers and grass and well--- anything green! We had another ten inches of snow today, so everything here is white and cold.

    Love the trilliums and the pink dog's tooth, the captions were so fitting and the flowers are beautiful. You have inspired me to add more spring interest to my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it just exciting this time of year to watch everything emerging from the ground? Ahhhh Spring! My favorite time of year. You have lots coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the step by step opening of your Trout Lily. What a beauty. She looks so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    The trillium are especially exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.