Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's Alive!

My one weakness at the nursery, the one kind of plant that will invariably draw my attention, is the one with big, dramatic leaves. I planted several last year, without a clue as to whether they would survive the winter here. Jut kept my fingers crossed.

There are signs that some of them made it.


Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans'

I planted this very late last Fall, not long before the hard frost and heavy snow we had just before Thanksgiving. It promptly lost all its leaves and died right back to the ground.

Ornamental rhubarb/Rheum palmatum

Darmera peltata

Gunnera

I didn't do anything special to any of them, didn't even cover them with mulch. I'm really hoping the fact that there is green in there means that "It's Alive!"

7 comments:

  1. After the winter we had and all the rain, it sure does look like they must be pretty tough. I love finding signs of life on plants that are new to the garden, especially ones you really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they're alive, Alison!!! How thrilling for you to have 'rediscovered' them all after their long winter's rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, I do the same thing around here after the snow melts, go out and see what's made it through another winter. I hope you post their progress as they grow...I've never heard of ornamental rhubarb or the others you mentioned. It's time to expand my horizons.

    Love the video...had a good chuckle over that...It's ALIVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lady at church last night commented that I seem to be feeling well lately. I told her I have been well, and am so tickled it's spring. She was remembering I had not been feeling well for awhile this winter.

    Your green you found will probably be growing pretty quickly once it starts warming up a bit. I love the look on Frankenstein's face as the scientist is carrying on. I sure carried on yesterday when I discovered some living lisianthis plants that are grown as annuals here in zone 5b.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waking up after a period of dormant:). Very exciting indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.