Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vignettes From The Northwest Flower and Garden Show 2011

I went on Friday. I was originally planning to go on Thursday, and then I thought I'd wait till Saturday. But I got up yesterday morning and thought -- what a great day to attend the Flower Show. A lot of other people had the same thought. It was soooo crowded!

It was very hard to get good overall pictures of the display gardens, with all the people jostling for position, and walking in front of the camera just as I was about to take pictures.

So I decided to focus on vignettes. Small scenes. Tight little groupings. I'm not sure I can remember where they all came from, but I'll try.

Paradise (to be) Regained

Little patio with "tiles" made of stepables, interspersed with old rusty heat registers

Garden entrance, gabions weighted at the bottom with bricks, and filled with plastic bottles, with fencing made of heat radiators.



Life's Journey in a Garden (Expect Great Things)
I loved how this garden progressed from darkness (dark leaves, dark flowers, dark accents) on the left to light (white and off-white flowers, light-colored accents) on the right -- the way we in the West read

Nice contrast here between the dark leaves and the rusty edging, which I think is old window wells

A Day Well Spent

Loved this mysterious, overgrown brick footpath (might have to steal ideas from here for the path I'm putting in my shade garden)

English daisies and moss overflowing from the nooks and crannies of a step

Inside the potting shed

From one of the garden junk exhibits put together by a local high school



Wind in the Willows: A River Odyssey

The Frog Prince

One Upon a Thyme (I think)

From the Container Garden Displays
(Now my husband wants me to look for that street Italian book)




Finally, reminders of a couple of plant combos that I liked


I was there for 6 hours, and walked my dang patootie off! By the end of it all my legs were aching. The day culminated in dinner with my husband at the nearby Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Came home tired but happy!

17 comments:

  1. That looks like an amazingly well spent six hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the tour. I really enjoyed looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing your pictures! I missed some of these things, like the bicycle. Weds. wasn't too crowded compared to how the weekends are when I usually go. Glad you were able to make it down to see it. It's snowing here again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved them all. Next best thing to being there.

    Glad to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that tile work, actually I love your blog. Thanks Alison for stoping by leaving me a comment on my scrapbooking blog. Would love it if you would follow my garden blog: http://whyineedagarden.blogspot.com/
    xxx
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like it was a great show. I haven't been to that one but have gone to some in Portland in the past. Thank you for sharing your photos..I do believe I will use some of those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing all of this with you, Alison. You were probably wise to have gone on Friday as the weekend would most likely have been even busier!
    Glad you'd had a good day and ended it with a hearty meal with your husband :)

    My absolute favourite here is the potting shed vignette ;) Also love overgrown brick pathways and mossy steps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alison and thank you! Your pictures are pretty good! Mine are mostly too yellowish. We went there yesterday, on Saturday. It wasn't crowdy in the morning, but it got worse later. The Christianson's nursery display was my favorite. We visit their place almost every year, when the Tulip Festival starts there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how every set of pictures have captured a different focus. I went Friday too and agree how hard it is to get a full shot! The NW Flower and Garden facebook page has some great shots from before the doors opened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing. We weren't able to go this year and I was quite disappointed. But being able to look at all the pictures from the local bloggers that went, really filled that void for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your vignettes! I tried to be too encompassing in my photos, and missed a lot of detail I think. Wasn't that green glass sculpture in The Wind in the Willows great?! I also focused on the English daisies on the step and snapped it. So glad you enjoyed the show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well hi there! Your header photo really caught my eye, it's really good! I liked your garden show pictures - some great ideas (I kinda did the stepping stone one, well mine is similar). Looks great here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to spend more time looking at the garden show pics. All my small garden trinkets like the tea sets in the fairy garden were just too tempting to the present dog who rearranges and hides things.

    Blotanical is especially confusing right now because it is undergoing changes (again) after some neglect in the past six months. Check your Plot tab there every now and then for messages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower :-)

    I invite you to visit my blog and follow me :-)

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya sweetie!!! Just incase you do not swing back by my blog I will post my answer here too ;O) Thank you so much for stopping by!! Some of the seeds I did are Lupine, Delphium, tritoma "red hot pocker", zinnia's, echinacea, baby's breath,lavander hyssop, aster, foxglove, canterbury bells,penstemon, petunia, painted daisy and a few others I cannot reember the names but I ripped top half of my packets and taped them to the bottom of each jug so I would know what I had ;O) Hopefully I chose the right seeds, I tried to follow the web pages I found but 1 of them might not have been specific to zone 4 so I will just cross my finger and toes and hope....lol!!!

    Your blog is just adorable!! I am adding you to my google reader so I can follow and learn from you ;O)!!! Thank you so much hun I do appreciate you stopping by my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for taking us along on your jaunt through the flower show. I love all your photos. Now if the weather would just cooperate we could actually go outside and putter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the steppables with the rusty, old heat registers. I may have to borrow that idea for my garden!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.