Friday, February 11, 2011

Fertilizer Friday -- Primroses and Hellebores (Of Course!)

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Tacoma Home and Garden Show, and one of the nice treats was a free primrose from Windmill Gardens (with purchase). I bought a Sarcococca ruscifolia (Sweet Box), and got a cute little red Primrose as well!


Well, seriously, what good is one primrose?

I had to run an errand to Lowe's a few days later, and so....I bought a few more!


For only $1.25 each, who can resist adding that great punch of color to a dreary winter garden?

I just need to figure out where to put them. Good thing I still have plenty of open space.

For this Fertilizer Friday, I do have a single Hellebore just starting to open.

Ivory Prince

Pink Frost is taking its sweet time, but it has loads of buds, so I know it will be spectacular when it finally does open. Soon, very soon!


The rain returns tomorrow, according to weather.com. Good thing I got a rain gauge from my son for Christmas!

Not that I need a rain gauge. Here in the PNW, all it really needs is one line labeled "Lots!"

Make sure you visit Tootsie Time, where lots of bloggers are flaunting their flowers!

12 comments:

  1. What cute Primroses! I still need to plant mine too. I love the Hellebore and am excited to see what your Pink Frost looks like since I just added one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to enjoy some primrose here in Ohio. Thank you for a sharing a glimpse into the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, the primrose are so lovely; I just adore the colors! I wish I had good luck with hellebores, but so far I can't keep them alive. The bud count on yours is amazing! I can't wait to see them bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No primroses here, they sure are pretty though. What a fancy rain gauge you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love primroses and all of yours are gorgeous, but the blue one is my favourite...in fact, I'm a sucker for blue flowers, period!

    That is by far the prettiest rain gauge I've ever seen. Your son must have known you needed it more for decorative purposes than practical application and I enjoyed your comment about not really needing a gauge with more than one line :) I wish we were lucky enough to get so much rain!

    YOUR NEW HEADER IS BEAUTIFUL, ALISON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where to put them? I was going to suggest 'in my garden'. Oh well, I am sure they are happier in yours. Gorgeous flowers. I would grow them too if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll love the Sarcococca next year if it's not yet blooming this year. The smell is interesting: slightly sweet and pungent at the same time, but it's a great overall performer in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look at the bright faces of the primroses singing out spring is here...so soon...can't wait...Happy Fertilizer Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. You on the western side of the state make my fingers itch to get gardening. With the threat of hard freeze until Mother's Day, I've had to learn to be patient. Sigh. I'll live vicariously through your garden for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Alison, I admire your blue primrose very much ( I never had luck with that colour when I bought some seedlings from the nursery). Primrose always look so cheery in the garden in winter even though during gloomy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially admire the white edge on those primroses. It just makes it pop!
    Funny about the rain gauge. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love primrose but have never grown it! yours are lovely! I like that blue the best!
    Thank you so much for linking in this week...I hope you will again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.