Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, July 15, 2019

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- July 2019

Well, it's time for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day again, and since I missed posting one for the month of June, I figured I better get off my butt and put a post together for this month. Back in June, I was busy trying to get the garden ready for me to leave it just before going away to the Fling (not to mention getting ME ready to leave), and I never got around to posting photos of what was blooming.

Our weather for the first half of July has been very odd -- cool, wet, rainy days. Normal summer weather here means that it turns quite dry immediately after the Fourth of July, but that has not been the case this year. We had all our dry weather in early spring, I guess. Now, it's making up for it. Fine with me, actually -- I prefer cool and rainy. I'll take it as long as it lasts.

Here's what's blooming now in my Washington state Zone 7b (although the USDA insists it's 8) garden.


I planted this foxglove a few years ago as a hardier alternative to the Digiplexis that was briefly popular, but I can't remember what it's called.

Daylilies have started flowering -- this one was labeled 'Double Passion,' but the flowers are not double.

I figure this is probably 'Barbara Mitchell' -- my favorite pink daylily and the first one I ever bought for this garden

Eryngium 'Blue Glitter'

Eryngium 'Blue Glitter' has seeded around quite a bit -- this one is growing in the gravel and will require a shovel to get it dug out. Even then, the taproot could be difficult.

Of course, the hens and chicks are flowering, like weird alien snakes

Monarda

Monardella 'Marion Sampson'

Geranium 'Rozanne'

'Phenomenal' Lavender, which was a giveaway at the DC Fling a couple of years ago

This lily is called 'Royal Sunset.'

'Saltarello'

I've lost the name of this one, but it has been incredibly prolific
I think this is 'Chicago Apache'

I bought this one last year and all I remember now is that the name had something to do with vampires

'Cherry Tiger'

On my recent daylily post I think the consensus was that this was probably 'El Desperado'

Echinacea purpurea

A swath of Leucanthemum 'Crazy Daisy' sown from seed last year

Most of the flowers are wonderfully frothy
I've had Hydrangeas waiting to go in a bed for a few years now -- I've lost track of this one's name

A lacecap Hydrangea also with no name

The tag in the pot with this claims it's 'Enziandom'

Hydrangea quercifolia


Hydrangea arborescens -- maybe 'Annabelle' although the flowers have never been as large as I think those are supposed to get


Veronica spicata

Lily 'London Heart'

Lily 'Landini' with 'Black Lace' elderberry foliage

The final few inches of the wild foxgloves

Daylily 'Bold Tiger'

Stachys officinalis 'Hummelo'

Bright orange Alstroemeria

Campanula

Geranium x oxonianum 'Wargrave's Pink'


Dahlia 'Black Beauty' -- one of the few I grew from seed last year that returned from where I left them in the bed

And an un-named bedding Dahlia with dark leaves, flowering in the pot ghetto
 

Dahlia 'Totally Tangerine'

Dianthus

Clematis

Acanthus

A daylily whose name I've lost -- it's really much redder than it appears in the photo

Inula magnifica

Well, if that isn't everything, it certainly should be. Isn't early summer wonderful, before everything has turned brown and burned to a crisp?

Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, check out her post here.