Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ten Little Giants

It wasn't a harsh winter, but it still carried a big ugly stick that it used to to beat my garden up. In fact, it beat my Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant' so badly with the ugly stick that it turned into one.

Ugly mother

She left behind a host of babies, though, growing up from her roots.


One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven and Eight

Nine

Ten

And one more for good measure, growing scarily close to the culvert planter

I'm pretty sure the mother is dead, but crikey! She's going to turn my front garden into a Tetrapanax forest. Fortunately, I've heard they're fairly easy to dig up when young. I just need to figure out where the happy medium is. Dig up too few and they'll take over and be difficult to get rid of. Dig up too many, and I risk none of these babies surviving our next winter's beating.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes by digging up some of the pups they end up sending more suckers from the pups. Unless you wan't to propagate it perhaps just pinch a few that you don't want from the base and leave the roots undisturbed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A joy of spring is looking for new growth, suckers or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're easy to cut off even when they're larger. See what makes you happy. They do like to make a forest and will pop up in places farther and farther from mom each year. You've unleashed the Kraken! (Or maybe that's running bamboo.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Tetrapanax is small but winter hits it and now I have babies too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone keeps saying that we didn't really have a winter and I have to look at them like they're crazy. It got cold pretty quickly last fall, which was hard on a some plants (and 21F is pretty cold!). Anyway welcome to Tetrapanax motherhood! Mine in the front garden is once again populating my neighbors garden (by going under their driveway) and I've got a few popping up in my garden. I wish wish they were easier to move without killing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always heard the plant spreads with abandon - you've provided the proof of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any new ones coming up but my plants from last year didn't die back either. It seems to be one or the other. I hope I have that forest someday. It looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a tetrapanax forest! But then I have space for one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Tetrapanax turned to a stick that was about 7-8' tall. I cut it down and thought I killed it. Now, I have two babies growing from the roots. I told that it's enough, but I'm not sure this is the end. I have a feeling that I'm playing with fire, but I have a space for it in my garden so far.
    I remember visiting a garden of Little and Lewis on Bainbridge Island and seeing a Tetrapanax for the first time in my life. This is when I heard about it having babies as far as 6' from a mother plant, but it was also said that they were easy to remove. It gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these stories convince me that I'm a very bad mother: dead mother, no babies whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.