Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Foliage Followup, February 2015

Every month the day after Bloom Day is Foliage Followup, when garden bloggers celebrate the role of foliage in the garden. Here's what is on offer in the greenhouse.

Lots of brand new 'Macho Mocha' Manfreda babies

New Begonia foliage

Begonia luxurians, leafing out after being cut back drastically

Tree fern frond uncurling

Canna 'Tropicanna' still looking good

Echium candicans 'Star of Madeira' -- these are both actually the beginnings of flowers, but the foliage around them looks pretty fabulous

Pam at the blog Digging hosts Foliage Followup. Check out her post here to see what she's highlighting today, and remember to check out the links that other bloggers have left in the comments.

9 comments:

  1. Your greenhouse is full of fab exotica Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely selection of foliage, as always. I love unfurling fern fronds, and the echium is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much pretty foliage Alison. Your greenhouse must be jam packed with excitement right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many exotic plants, amazing that your Canna has foliage at this time of year. The Echiums are looking wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hours over the last several days on my hands and knees in the garden. So much is sprouting out there! Fun to see your hot house exotics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what is the back story on the brand new 'Macho Mocha' Manfreda babies? Seeds? Separated pups? Please tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree, Well, it looks like the original larger plant that was in the center has died, and is producing pups now like mad. It makes me wonder if it had flowered already when I bought it. I think I'm going to try separating them and potting them up. I'll probably bring a few to the spring plant swap.

      Delete
  7. You make me wish I would have brought my Manfreda as well as my Echium inside last fall - but alas, I did not. Pretty sure the Echium is toast, and I foolishly keep eyeing the spot where the Manfreda used to be for signs of life. At least I still have the Begonia luxurians Peter gave me at the Swap at your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Manfreda and Echium both look more than a little sad next to yours!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.