Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- April 2014

Holy Smokes, April is busting out all over. All of a sudden, after a few warm, dry, sunny days, everything has popped!

Do I dare show everything I have in bloom? Surely you will get thoroughly, wretchedly bored. The Primroses have already had their own post, here. I think perhaps I'll save the Epimediums and give them their own parade too.

Here's the rest!

Iberis is such an ordinary plant most of the year, but it's also an early and long bloomer, which makes it alright in my book. I love the white flowers with the dark blotch on the Samobor Geranium leaves.

I could swear my Gold Heart Dicentra leaps out of the ground fully blooming, like Athena from the head of Zeus.

Fritillarias are flowering now too.

The plain white one as well

Gentian is such a luscious blue!

Dodecatheon meadia

White Dodecatheon

Trillium ovatum flowers start out white and age to pink

Pagoda lily


Dicentra formosa

My tiny Dawn Viburnum x bodnantense has one cluster of yummy flowers

Dicentra 'Valentine' I think

I only have a couple of patches of Anemone blanda, but I really should have more. They're such a cheerful, carefree early bloomer.

Viola labradorica, a sweet little violet with purplish foliage, so far has self-sown modestly, although I may have overlooked some tiny seedlings in my weeding.


Daffodils in the sunshine

The red Pulsatilla has finally opened its flowers (I wrote about the white one here)

Euphorbia flowers are so odd, I often forget that they're flowers

Uvularia grandiflora

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens, on  the 15th of every month. Check out her post here, where she shares what's blooming in her garden, and where others leave links to their own posts about what's flowering right now.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks fantastic. You are so far ahead of mine. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blooms are different to my blooms, except for Iberis, whitest of whites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring has exploded hasn't it? Your flowers all look wonderful! This is my favorite time of year when the garden is full of color and the prospect of summer fun is in the air! Happy GBBD Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that euphorbia, do you remember which one it is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bleeding hearts are gorgeous.

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bored? Are you kidding? Look at all that fantastic color! We've got to celebrate, we've made it out of winter's clutches! I love all of your blooms and it is amazing how a few sunny days can create an abundance of blooming color. My gardens are having the same experience and it's wonderful. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful exotic (to me) selection of plants, the Fritillarias in particular. I really enjoyed your post. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stunned by your fabulous selection of blooms. And the only two I have is the Uvularia and bleeding heart. I love the gentians, the fritillarias, and the shooting stars, and I want some right now! My bleeding heart are about 3" tall now and the Uvularia haven't even woken up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No we are not going to get bored. I want to see everything. You have some beautiful flowers, the colour of that gentian is amazing.
    As usual your photographs are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alison! Lovely blooms! I have some of these plants, but they don't bloom yet! My Gentian haven't shown up yet, I guess it's gone.
    New blog's header picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid blooms Alison..and thank you for reminding me about Anemone blanda..so inexpensive too, one can afford to buy a boatload of them. I love your delicate woodland plants, the Epemediums, Trilliams etc. I fear my climate is not quite right, though they are sold down here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Spring has exploded in your garden. Happy bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bored? Surely you know us better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You grow a lot of different plants than we do. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely little lusciously delicate bloomers you have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have so many wonderful blooms! The Fritillaria and gentian, especially, are two that I need to add to my garden. I even read that gentians are deer-resistant, so nothing's stopping me now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely selection of spring blooms Alison! I've fallen in love with that Gold Heart Dicentra!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Alison, pictures like these make me want to sell this house and move up to the PNW. A belated happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm ecstatic to see your Gentian photo, it was my impulse purchase at Hortlandia and I have been wondering if it will be a survivor. It was great to see you there, I feel like I know you from your blog. I love all your Bleeding Hearts, I'm saving mine for next Monday's post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many beautiful spring flowers! You have a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are just a week or so ahead of us here in Scotland Alison - you've a tremendous selection of blooms this April. I love each and every one of them! and thank you - you've just extended my wish list! I really need to get some Pagoda lillies in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many blooms to choose from but I am smitten with bleeding hearts...

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.