Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Can I Save My Bougainvillea?

I did a big Oops this past weekend. I brought my Bougainvillea into the house as part of the Great Fall Migration, and set it in a western-facing window. I was saving all the space in front of the south-facing window for my big Agaves and other succulents. We've been having a distinct lack of sun lately, so that spot where I put the Bougainvillea was not anywhere near bright enough.

It let me know immediately in no uncertain terms that it was not happy. By withering and dropping almost all its leaves!

Big drip tray full of Bougainvillea leaves and flowers

I didn't notice it till this morning, when I opened the blinds on that window, and took a good look at it. It was only there for about three days, and already it is remarkably denuded.

Minus all its top leaves, now in the prime real estate that is my only south-facing window

We're finally getting some sun this morning, but it might be too little, too late

The lower leaves are still green and hanging on, but how long will they last?

A couple are looking very chlorotic.

I'm a Bougainvillea newbie. I hope it lives. I've moved it into that south-facing window, but at this point I don't know what else to do. Should I cut it back? I think the top branches are still alive, but is it too stressed to try to support them? Would it be more merciful if I just took off those top branches? Keep your fingers crossed, and if you have any advice for me, give it!