Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Friday, July 1, 2011

I Have Tomatoes!

OK, they're still green.
Red Siberian (62 days to harvest)

And they're tiny....

Glacier (65 days to harvest)

But....I have tomatoes! Now it just remains to be seen which one tastes the best. And which one ripens first.

Interestingly, the two tomatoes are on two of my determinate plants in pots, with wall-o-waters.


I just discovered the tomatoes today, when I finally turned the WOWs down and spilled some of the water out of them so I could trim the lower leaves.
The others are looking good, they have plenty of flowers.


I really thought the first fruit would be on one of these determinates that is at the South end of the house in good sun, with lots of reflected heat from the river rock they're sitting on.


Or from the indeterminates in the hoophouse, where they are certainly getting tall and flowering, but no fruit set yet.

If I can just avoid the late blight that plagued all my tomatoes last year, I will be sooooo happy.

4 comments:

  1. Your plants are looking so healthy and sturdy. Holding thumbs you reap beautiful tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, your tomatoes are just looking fantastic, I can see all your hard work earlier this year is paying off. I finally got ours in the ground a few weeks ago on much higher land (since last year they were growing hydroponically--not my intention, mind you, but the entire area was flooded most of the summer, lol) Note to self: tomatoes really don't enjoy being six inches under water.

    I need tomato juice and sure hope this year mine will grow like yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, congrats! I've only got flowers. I agree with your thoughts that you would have seen fruit on the ones in the hoop house or near the south facing area. Hm, apparently they have a mind of their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have green ones too, but coming on slowly; with the warmer temps this week we should see much improvement. Our hoop house peppers have many fruits forming. Summer is here!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.