Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Promises, Promises!

Today we are having the first of a promised string of sunny and mostly sunny days, from now until Saturday. I sure hope the forecast is accurate. So far it is holding true, it's taking its sweet time warming up, but we have bright blue skies and sun.

I took a look around the garden to see what might be flowering by the end of it. Maybe by the time Fertilizer Friday rolls around, some of my plants will actually be flowering.

My dark-leaved Weigela (I don't remember the cultivar and I'm too lazy to look it up) is covered with the buds. This is just one branch.


Camassia should be opening soon too!

My Pacific Coast iris has buds too. See that thicker part of the blade? (Sorry it's out of focus). There's a flower in there. There are at least 6 or 7 of these.

This isn't a flower bud, it's a seed pod on my Erythronium oregonum. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if I can save the seeds. I'll have to sow them right away, I'm pretty sure most spring ephemerals need to be sowed immediately after they ripen.

I've never grown poppies before. Most of them are still tightly budded. But this one has been slowly opening just a tiny bit wider each day. I just know it's going to be beautiful! It looks like there is an entire pink silk Victorian ball gown in there struggling to get out!
Our Spring has been delayed for so long, something's gotta give! I think it's going to be all my flowers. They're going to explode!

13 comments:

  1. Love the analogy of the pink silk ball gown :) So glad to know you have sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous poppy. I have grown the annual poppies but the one time I tried the perennial, the voles got it. I wish my dark Weigelia had some buds on it, maybe it is too young...it is about 8 inches tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring is just about to burst forth with an explosion of color in your garden. When I was little I used to "pop" open all my moms poppies to see what color they were going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see that poppy in full bloom, it looks wonderful! How lucky you are to have sunshine today, we are on day three of rain. They are blaming it on a La Nina effect, and it should be gone by June. I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison,

    The poppy is stunning even before it opens. We used to grow the orange poppies they lasted over 20 years in my parents yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poppy reminds me of a chick trying to burst out of its shell. A real miracle. Great color too. I too hope the weather people are right about a few rain-free days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't it great today?! Only thing is we are having our house painted and all the windows are covered in plastic :)
    I noticed on of my Weigelas blooming today, but the poppies are far behind yours. I hope we'll finally get an explosion of flowers soon. Enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that poppy pic...it's like the Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something just so elegant and delicate about poppies and I love your analogy. Enjoy this whole, bright, warm (relatively) week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alison, I couldn't agree with you more...something has got to give! Hopefully this week :) My poppies are behind yours, love the pic of the pink poppy opening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allison, we've said goodbye to spring here in my part of Texas and are grudgingly greeting summer. I am SO looking forward to being in Seattle in July!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.