Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Rootin' Tootin' Brugmansia

Before I moved my Brugmansias into the garage for the winter, I cut a few bits and pieces off and tried rooting them. I don't really need any more, as long as the three big ones I have survive the winter in the garage, which they should. They made it fine last year. But in case they don't, it's always good to have a couple of babies coming on. And if I have extras that root successfully, I can always give them away at the spring plant exchange.

Anyway, usually I root them in water first and then transfer them to a pot of soil, but I thought for the sake of experimentation I'd try rooting a couple in water and a couple in soil, to see what happened. Interestingly, I had similar success rates. I started with two of each, and ended up rooting one of each successfully. The other two rotted.

Got that? Two rooted, and two rotted.


Before putting this Brug away for the winter, I cut off this awkwardly placed branch and took some of the small bits and pieces off to root them.

I know this one rooted successfully in soil because it has started producing new leaves. See the leaves on the right that I cut in half? That's all it had originally when I put it in the pot.

Here's the one that rooted in water, it's all potted up in soil now

Brugs are one thing I've had success rooting. I've tried rooting lots of things, but it doesn't always work. I have a few other things in the greenhouse coming on, but not all were successful.

Have you tried rooting cuttings?