Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Rootin' Tootin' Brugmansia

Before I moved my Brugmansias into the garage for the winter, I cut a few bits and pieces off and tried rooting them. I don't really need any more, as long as the three big ones I have survive the winter in the garage, which they should. They made it fine last year. But in case they don't, it's always good to have a couple of babies coming on. And if I have extras that root successfully, I can always give them away at the spring plant exchange.

Anyway, usually I root them in water first and then transfer them to a pot of soil, but I thought for the sake of experimentation I'd try rooting a couple in water and a couple in soil, to see what happened. Interestingly, I had similar success rates. I started with two of each, and ended up rooting one of each successfully. The other two rotted.

Got that? Two rooted, and two rotted.

Before putting this Brug away for the winter, I cut off this awkwardly placed branch and took some of the small bits and pieces off to root them.

I know this one rooted successfully in soil because it has started producing new leaves. See the leaves on the right that I cut in half? That's all it had originally when I put it in the pot.

Here's the one that rooted in water, it's all potted up in soil now

Brugs are one thing I've had success rooting. I've tried rooting lots of things, but it doesn't always work. I have a few other things in the greenhouse coming on, but not all were successful.

Have you tried rooting cuttings?


  1. Congratulations on your rooting success! I tried rooting brugmansia in water once but, since I usually forget cuttings until the water dries out or they rot off and fall on the floor, was unsuccessful.

  2. My great aunt rooted these every winter. She would just stick them in a container of water and put them in the basement.

  3. Congratulations on your new arrivals. I got a couple nice golden spirea plants from dormant prunings last winter. And once I was able to propagate one of my favorite heirloom roses from cuttings. Usually that doesn't work for me. I use rooting hormone and sterile potting medium because I've had bad luck getting roots that start out in water to make the transition to soil.

  4. Not bad! I've had mixed success with rooting cuttings. Right now, I've got cuttings of peppermint geranium I've trying to root to replace a swath of the stuff that's gone into decline in one area of my garden. The cuttings are taking their time about it but then it has been colder than usual here and they're outside.

  5. Tom does cuttings of pelargoniums and plectranthus every fall to fill pots in the spring.

  6. Nice work, Alison! I've never tried propagating them, but then again, I haven't even managed to make them flower yet. Not sure if it's due to too much shade, or if I'm doing something else wrong. Probably both... Good to know that they can be rooted both ways, though.


Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.