Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday Vignette

It's Echinacea season in my garden. No coneflower does better in my garden than the straight species wildflower, Echinacea purpurea, which I sowed in place about 3 years ago when we redid the front garden, right onto bare soil under a plastic cloche. The seeds sprouted wonderfully, and the plants that resulted continue to drop seeds and reproduce modestly. I've tried many named varieties over the years, and none have been as sturdy or robust. Plant breeders keep trying to capture my fancy with their crazy petals and poofy double flowers and crazy colors. I should have learned my lesson by now. None of them thrive like this. They're all wimps.




The pollinators prefer it too.



Anna at Flutter and Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. Check out her post here.

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Alison. I started a few from seed 3 years ago, today they are tall , strong and beautiful. I get to divide them each year to spread the joy throughout my garden. They make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the straight species. It is perplexing the amount of hybridized Echinacea out there - as Loree and I once said, "how many $**@@ new Echinacea do we need?" These are my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Echinaceas, especially together with the grasses. It's a pity they won't live long in our garden. Our wet acid soil is not suitable for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're a wonderful classic, Alison. In my dreams, I'd have a meadow with these flowers playing a major role. Sadly, I've never had much luck with Echinaceas, even this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echinaceas just don't do well in our garden. I wish they did. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Few things are better than big drifts of grasses and Echinaceas. Beautiful! Even though they are terribly tempting, I've heard that most of those fancy colors usually end up reverting back to the original anyway, so why bother... Especially when the original ones are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The originals are the only ones that stay in my garden too, I've given up on all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so true...these are the varieties that are tried-and-true...and I actually prefer them to the crazy new colors/forms anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.