Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Wednesday Vignette

For today's Wednesday Vignette, I'm sharing an image that struck me recently when I was in my front garden weeding. I happened to glance up into the branches of a dark-leaved ninebark and noticed the distinctly bell-shaped flowers of a dainty Clematis that I had planted at its base a couple of years ago. It's in an out-of-the-way spot, facing my neighbor's driveway, and I seldom venture there, maybe once or  twice a year, mostly just to weed (since I have to stand IN my neighbor's driveway to do so, and that makes me feel conspicuous, as if I'm trespassing.) I had long ago assumed the Clematis had died.

I guess it was just biding its time.




It was a delightful little surprise.

Anna at Flutter and Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. You can check out her current post here, and don't forget to also visit all the posts of the bloggers who comment and leave links to their own Wednesday Vignettes.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Alison - that is a wonderful Clematis! You HAVE to move it so you can enjoy it more. If treading on your neighbor's driveway makes you feel like a trespasser, they surely don't deserve you giving them that kind of loveliness. It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love surprises like that! The clematis is beautiful, not to speak of the ninebark. I'm suitably jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little flower, and the nine-bark makes a perfect trellis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the luckiest neighbors, Alison! What a gorgeous surprise, whenever I look up when I'm weeding it's usually a sow thistle I see. Wonderful photos, breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your neighbour appreciates it Alison, it is beautiful, could you not train it to face your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, gorgeous Clematis! What's its name?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardens are full of surprises. It's wonderful when it is a happy surprise like your clematis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this form of clematis. They're like fairy hats. Great combo with the dark-leaf shrub, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that 'Rooguchi'? Such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shades of purple are stunning together. What a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.