Tuesday, November 17, 2015

First Snow Fall

I woke up this past Sunday morning to see snow falling outside. That was a shock. I knew it was supposed to get down into the 30s overnight, but I didn't think the rain would turn to snow. I told a still half-asleep Nigel it was snowing and he said "Ha ha." I used The Voice on him and then he knew I wasn't joking.

I checked the weather online, and it looked like within a few hours it would turn back to rain, so I got dressed and hurried outside to take some photos. It was already turning slushy.

The front garden with its dusting of snow

Strappy Iris leaves

Snow-laden Panicum virgatum

Zombie flamingo and cap of snow

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant'

Trachycarpus fortunei

Verbascum bombyciferum

Snow-capped cardoon

Agave havardiana

Paperbark maple

Mahonia x media 'Charity'

What's this fella got to smile about?

11 comments:

  1. Ugh, I am not a fan...although you know, it does look fabulous on Trachycarpus fronds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last fella looks pained. He must be a fair weather gardener, like me. I'm glad the snow didn't last or cause any damage. As much as I prefer sunshine and blue sky, I have to admit, the snow is pretty. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite pretty but I prefer snow on school days when it falls in sufficient amounts to have a late start. I can't believe that it's almost December! This year is flying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? That's crazy! Quite early for these parts, isn't it? Peter - do you have snow pics too??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I thought that's early but remembered it is mid-November. Looks like the kind of snow we get here around every five years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seasonal denial disorder. I'm just not ready for snow and winter yet. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd prefer that to the hail shower I had to duck inside to avoid. I like a dusting of snow to pretty things up, as long as it goes away soon. I love the old flower stalk on the Verbascum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! It seems early to me too but, come to think of it, I remember snow falling when my husband and I were driving from the Sacramento airport to Grass Valley years ago to spend Thanksgiving with family. I hope it did no harm. The zombie flamingo looks good with an ice cap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that was fun! No snow here for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a surprise and so much beauty as it transform the garden...you actually have had more snow than we have had....nothing on the ground and a few flakes in the air only.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.