Thursday, October 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- October 2015

I do still have a few flowers to show for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. The garden is on its last legs, although we don't have a frost in the near forecast at this time. We're having fewer sunny days, and more rainy and foggy ones, although I would still say not as rainy as a normal October. Just yesterday I was digging holes to plant some Allium bulbs, and only 5 inches or so down, the soil is dry as dust.

Anyway, here's what's flowering in my garden and in the greenhouse.

My Brugs are still going strong, but all you get today is a closeup of a flower.  They're still filling the garden with wonderful scent.

I don't recall offhand the name of this Dahlia, but it's perfectly matched with the Panicum behind it.

The same Dahlia, but a different flower with a bit more pink on the petal tips.

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

Calendula 'Solar Flashback' is still producing flowers. I need to get out there and gather seeds.

This pink Nicotiana sowed itself from plants originally planted over a year ago.

One of just a few last California poppies

A golden Alstroemeria (possibly 'Tangerine Tango')

Arbutus unedo compacta

Chocolate Joe Pye Weed (not called Eupatorium anymore, right? Ageratum something?)

 Fuchsia magellanica has been flowering pretty much all summer

Fuchsia magellanica aurea too. Although they're common in the PNW, no garden here that wants to attract hummingbirds should be without these great plants.

Newly planted Geranium 'Ann Folkard' has produced its first flower.

This past weekend, Nigel helped me with "The Great Migration" of tender plants into the greenhouse. I had already cleaned all the dying tomatoes out of it, and installed two more wire racks for holding plants. Some of those plants are flowering.

Aloe backed by the strappy leaves of a magenta Cordyline

Begonia

Also a Begonia

Tiny Cactus flower

Pelargonium sidoides

Alstroemeria 'Rock and Roll' might survive the winter outside if we actually have the mild winter they're predicting, but I had room for it, so it came in.

Euphorbia millii (Crown of Thorns) has been flowering since I bought it this spring

And, in the category of incipient flowers, here are a couple of buds.

Cactus

Christmas Cactus (or maybe Thanksgiving Cactus)

That's it for Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Check out her post here, and also the many posts from bloggers around the world.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful variety of plants, the dahlia with the Panicum are wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of Dahlias in general...but yours looks smashing paired with that Panicum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect pairing of the dahlia and Panicum! Lots still blooming in your garden and I'm impressed that you've been planting bulbs already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you've still got plenty of great blooms! The last one is definitely a Thanksgiving cactus. The points on the stem are the easiest distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that ti,e of the gardening year when we need to start clean up, but things are still growing and blooming. It's kind of hard to start hacking them back.
    My christmas cacti, that live indoors, are now loaded with buds. The orange bloomer is a "Halloween" cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Dahlia is beautiful..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dahlias and fuchsias are two that I have to admire in the gardens of others. Yours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was it hard to move things into the greenhouse when it's still so lovely outside? I've enjoyed the the warm and sunny weather as I take care of business, although at times I've found myself les than motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started moving all my house plants inside too. I played around with using some of them in containers this year, so now I have to disassemble the planters to separate them out again, so I can bring them in. I truly am masterful at creating work for myself. I suppose I could just let them die... I don't have a single Dahlia in my garden, but seeing that shot with the orange one against the Panicum made my heart twitch - it is stunning! Next year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an enormous job it is, this twice yearly shifting of plants in and out of the greenhouse.It is a sort of madness really. Every year there are more to move and the greenhouse walls aren' t expandable.
    Lovely blooms, I love your dahlia and I always envy your beautiful Brugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have started moving plants into the greenhouse and conservatory, you are ahead of me! I tend to cut plants back when they are brought in, so they take up less room and also then grow more bushy.You have some beautiful flowers still in your garden, I think we are all waiting for that first frost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed, that is a great dahlia. So appealing in other people's gardens...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that dahlia! You've still got a lot of floral color but what surprised me most was seeing a California poppy still in bloom. A belated happy GBBD Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your blooms and especially the photography! I am big fan of Dahlias as well but don;t have room to grow too many. Just experimenting with a hand full every year.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.