Sunday, August 16, 2015

Foliage Followup -- August, 2015

It's time for Foliage Followup, which always happens the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, with the purpose of celebrating the role of fantastic foliage in the garden. Because of our long, hot, dry summer, I have a lot of crispy foliage, not to mention plants that have been torn apart and trampled by the rampaging marauders in the back. But I have found a few vignettes of good-looking leaves, and I've expanded the "not flowers" designation to include some seedpods.


Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant' looks quite lush despite being watered briefly about once a week

Black Colocasia/elephant ear would make a great subject for a leaf casting

Colocasia 'Mojito' unrolling

It's hard to capture the wonderful shades of blue and purple in Little Bluestem 'Blue Heaven'

The now golden strands of pheasant tail grass

The red tips of Panicum virgatum

Not really foliage, but not flower either -- Arum seed clusters (the day after I took this picture, it was trampled by raccoons)

Also not foliage -- Castor bean seedpods

Pam Penick at Digging hosts Foliage Followup. See her post here, and don't forget to check out the links from other bloggers in the comments.

12 comments:

  1. That black Colocasia is very interesting and the red tips of Panicum virgatum look nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so odd--how the big leaved plants can be among the most water savvy. Sort of counterintuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Colocasia survived the hit, good for it!
    My Steroidal Giant is not so gigantic this year. Too hot for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, you have such a great eye for interesting things among the most mundane.

    Hurry, rainfall. I'm not going to go out there and water my Castor Bean seedlings. I'll try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the "we always want what we don't have" category I am loving the look of your short bushy Tetrapanax. This after years of wanting (and finally having) tall ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! The black Colocasia is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those huge-leaved plants like the Tetrapanax and Colocasias. I grew elephant ears at my old place but haven't tried them in this garden and the stories about the growth of Tetrapanax scare me a bit. I suspect soil moisture may be an issue in both cases. I'm definitely going to try Ricinus next year in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damned raccoons! Your castor bean seedpods are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stand out foliage just has to be the black Colocasia - what an incredible colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can't wait for my little Tetrapanax to grow up! It's such a fantastic plant! Love that black Colocasia too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those castor bean seed pods look kind of menacing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, girl. Your garden looks nothing like an old man's wrinkled butt. :) It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.