Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Wednesday Vignette

Yesterday evening, while watering the front garden in the coolth, I managed to capture this shot of a sleeping bumble bee on an Echinacea flower. A cursory Google search about PNW bumble bees leads me to think this might be a Bombus vosnesenskii, although there are other possibilities too. This bee, with its yellow head and single yellow abdominal stripe, is omnipresent in my garden. I see its kind all over, happily gathering pollen.


"Now I lay me down to sleep..."


My Portland friend Anna at Flutter and Hum hosts Wednesday Vignette. Check out her current post here.

12 comments:

  1. Great pic Alison, and great timing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, calm picture. I love finding sleeping bees in my garden, too. It makes me feel as though I'm doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture. Ah to take a nap on a flower. I tried it once - had to redo the whole bed. Poor plants. You'd think they'd be more sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter - you just made me laugh out loud! So funny...

      Delete
  4. Sleeping bumbles. A precious sight. A lazy nap on a warm summer's day.....perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, what a precious sight! Great shot, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so amusing when you catch sight of one asleep like that. The poor things tucker themselves out so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a lot of bumbles too, but very few honey bees anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You captured a lovely moment. Beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love finding the bees sleeping in the early morning...then watching them wake with the sun! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.