Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- July, 2015

It's only the middle of July, but it feels like summer has been going on forever. Maybe I exaggerate, but I bet a lot of other PNWers would agree with me. Since it's July 15th, that means it's time for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. A lot of blooms have already gone past, but I do still have some, although it feels like many are early. I don't know what I'll have in August, probably all the ones I expect in the fall. I won't be at all surprised if my Asters and Mums start blooming on August 1.

Orange Alstroemeria

Yellow trumpet lily

This is the bed where bumble bees have been bedding down for the night -- could that be why it's called a bed?

Another trumpet lily

Looking up into the trumpet



And a third, with smaller flowers

Ornamental Oregano

'White Swan' coneflower


Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle'

Honey bee on Eryngium 'Blue Glitter'


Daylily 'Bold Tiger', below, is tucked under the pin oak in a semi-shady spot and despite that, has increased nicely, always puts on a bright show with lots of flowers on sturdy scapes, and best of all, is not infested with gall midge. I should give it a much more prominent spot next year.

Daylily 'Bold Tiger'

Unknown Abutilon

My tiny little Euphorbia millii (Crown of Thorns) has been flowering since I bought it earlier this spring.

Lobelia tupa

Monarda 'Raspberry Wine'

Hydrangea 'Annabelle'

Hydrangea quercifolia

Shasta daisies


Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. Check out her post here, where you'll also find assorted links to other bloggers all around the world celebrating their flowers.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful selection but those close ups are just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lobelia tupa, jealous. I've tried oh so many times to have success with this plant. I've finally just given up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite your heatwaves, your garden still has a lot to show for itself. I love all those lilies! Only one of mine bloomed this year - the others seem to have given up the ghost. I hope you get a sustained break from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange you a Hottie, too! Love the Lilies. I thought Summer was just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also want more Erngiums...and I keep wanting that Oregano you showed...just don't know where to put it ;-) That third pic, with the grasses, Echinacea and Sedum is perfection...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. High Summer, if that's what it is, looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your lillies, and your abuliton reminds me of one I tried to grow that died on me! so many flowers I cant grow! So I will be happy just to enjoy your photos! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful selection. I love your lilies. I'm excited to try more lilies now that the deer are shut out of the garden. I love the California poppies scattered everywhere, too. Something else I'll have to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blooms. I love lilies, especially the fragrant oriental ones! You've got a nice show going on in your garden! I was at Watson's today and they're already putting mums out. If our weather continues, they'll have a long bloom time this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny that you and Deanne, on opposite coasts, grow the best lilies! Looks like a fine summer garden to me. Happy Bloom Day, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have your crown of thorn outside?
    I have a mum that's been blooming for two weeks. Crazy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many pretty blooms right now Alison, your garden seems to be coping remarkably well with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lobelia tupa was out of this world!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.