Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Petal Pushers Summer Picnic

I'm still playing catch-up on my blog, sharing some of the gardens I've seen in the past few weeks. I recently joined a Northwest Perennial Alliance neighborhood group called The Petal Pushers, which  is based in the South Sound area -- Tacoma/Olympia. On the Tuesday after Nigel and I returned from Massachusetts, I went to the Petal Pusher's July picnic, which took place at the lovely garden of Linda Finkas in Lakewood.


I was surprised to see this large swath of rust-free Hollyhocks.


A shady corner


Pretty blue Hydrangeas in the sunny foundation bed


Clematis-covered arbor

A small patch of lawn with perennial beds, and a maypole with colorful streamers

Love the neon sign in the shed window

It's high season for lilies here, in more ways than one


A colorful potting bench

Glass and china flower

Gotta love a gardener who has a spot for pink flamingos!

Another patch of lawn to the right of the shed, with more beds

I was amused by that toy sailboat

Another shady corner with a bench

Matilja poppy

Colorful Hosta leaf casting, lying in a bed of blue annual Lobelia

Far in the back were bright sunny beds full of hot colors - Mmmmm, my favorite!

I love when a gardener matches the color of a flower with berries like this.

This limbed-up Clerodendron trichotomum towred over us as we had our picnic and conversed.

Thanks, Linda, for opening up your garden to the Petal Pushers!

10 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying the variety of gardens you post on your blog Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Threads of color weave through her garden like streamers on the Maypole. You led us right through it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thread of humor (starting with 'Petal 'Pushers') that ran through this post had me chuckling to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue of those Hydrangea is incredible! I love the bench encircling the trees in the 3rd picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool that you joined an NPA neighborhood group. We have been enjoying our group too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Alison, your garden photography is gorgeous . . . I love walking through the neighborhoods in the Seattle area, I know that you have a lot of rain, but that's why you have amazing flower gardens. I live in Central Washington and my thermometer reads 102. My husband just got home and he said that the one in his pick-up was reading 105. I worked outside this morning staining our new fence and by noon I was wilted. This afternoon I'm staying under the conditioner, only to venture out to move the sprinklers, LOL.
    I am your newest follower and I would love to invite you to visit my blog and follow me back. I may not be able to grow some of the lovely flowers that you can grow on your side of the mountains, but I can enjoy your photos and get landscaping ideas :)
    Have a wonderful day.
    Your new blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great garden, so many interesting nooks and crannies. I love the corner with the white bench. beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful garden Alison, and those Hollyhocks are gorgeous! I just love the name of the group too, The Petal Pushers, lol :-) .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Petal Pushers...and those blue hydrangeas are to die for...wish mine would turn blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun day in a colorful garden. :o) I love the little touches of whimsy, especially hosta leaf casting.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.