Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, July, 2014 -- Lots of Orange, Red, Yellow and Pink -- And a Touch of the Blues

Once again, I am thoroughly amazed at how quickly the middle of the month has arrived. Summer is going by so fast! And lately we here in the PNW have  been in the grip of a heat wave, which for us means temps in the mid-to high-80s. This kind of weather happens so seldom here, that very few houses and establishments have air-conditioning, so it's hard to escape the discomfort. Fortunately, the temperatures go back down into the 60s at night, which means if you stick a fan in a window after sunset, you can pull some cooler air into the house and thus get a little sleep.

Some of you know that I was away for the past week, visiting my son Iain in Massachusetts, helping him recover from arthroscopic surgery on his hip. The surgery went well, and he is recovering very quickly, already hobbling around on crutches and putting partial weight on the operated-on leg. I had been planning to spend part of last week in Portland at the Garden Bloggers Fling, but when the surgery got scheduled for the same week, sadly, I had to choose my son over fun and garden touring with other garden bloggers.

Anyway, I returned this past Sunday to a garden that was very floriferous despite the heat and lack of rain. I had left four sprinklers on a timer throughout the garden beds, so some of the newly planted perennials and shrubs got well watered. Others didn't fare quite so well, but a good dose of water from the hose yesterday perked almost everything right back up.

Here's what flowering right now in my PNW Zone 7b/8a garden.


Lots of orange and apricot and yellow Nasturtiums

Daylily 'Bold Tiger'

Dahlia 'Midnight Something'

Echinacea purpurea

Bright orange Nasturtium with Mertensia maritima

Lily 'Llandini'

Nicotiana and bug

Another very fragrant lily whose name I can't be bothered to look up

Ornamental Oreganum 'Kent Beauty'

Nicotiana alata

Brugmansia

Starts with an M -- Morina longifolia (Thanks to Garden Bug!)

Milkweed and feather grass

Kniphofia and feather grass


A view of the curve in the recycled concrete wall

Another lily

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Another ornamental Oregano, Oreganum libanoticum

Linum lewisii, there it is, that touch of the Blues

Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day to everyone! GBBD is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Bloggers from all over the world contribute to this meme, so go check it out here.

21 comments:

  1. Fiesta! There cannot be too much orange in a Hot Tropical Garden effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! That's it, Garden Bug. Thanks for jogging my memory.

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed by the development of your new garden beds, Alison! I wondered why you missed the Fling - I'm glad to hear that your son is doing well. I hope your heatwave comes to a quick conclusion (and doesn't move down this way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks like it did well in your absence. So glad to hear your son is doing well. Love the Kniphofia/feather grass combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful flowers. I especially love the ones on your Oreganum 'Kent Beauty'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great flowers and gorgeous colors! I envy the Puget Sound region its milder climate. My garden and I have been suffering through mid-90s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We missed you at the Fling--but Dear Son comes first, and I'm happy for you that he's recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kniphofia, asclepia and feather grass = scrumptious! Love all the hot orange. I'm sorry you missed the Fling, but elated to hear Ian is recovering quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oreganum 'Kent Beauty' is a new one on me, it's beautiful. As is the Kniphofia/Stipa combo, from one who has never before liked pokers. They've found the perfect partner there.
    Glad your son is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have lots of great red and orange flowers going, but it's great to also see the blues, the Flax and I hadn't seen the Mertensia maritima before, it's enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the hot colors! Your nasturtiums bloom much more freely than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that saturated orange Kniphofia, and, well, all your oranges. The Linum lewisii is new to me...off to research that one. You've got a beautiful summer garden, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of lovely hot colours, I particularly like your Dahlia 'Midnight something' and the dark lily. I grow the Origanum Kent Beauty but I seem to lose it in the winter. Do you find you can keep it?
    Hope your son continues to get well quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I especially like the riot of warm colors provided by your nasturtiums!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found out recently that Nasturtiums are edible flowers and are nice in a salad. Do you ever use them? I don't have any, but it's on my list of plants I'd like to add to my garden. Crocosmia 'Lucifer' is very pretty. I don't think I've ever seen it before. And also your Ornamental Oreganum. Very unique an delicate. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to be intentional about adding more HOT colors. I naturally grab purples and pinks. I was glad to see your variety. Thanks for sharing. Happy GBBD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to read that your son is recovering Alison, I'm sure he appreciated a visit from his mum.
    Well, you are certainly not without colour this July, it's a veritable feast. My favourite is Lily Llandini - it's a stunner! One I need to see if I can source over here.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.