Saturday, February 8, 2014

How to Lasso a Yucca Rostrata

I thought for various reasons (mainly a nasty bout of insomnia) that I wasn't going to get to the Northwest Flower and Garden Show this week. I had planned to go on Thursday but didn't. And on Friday I had to wait for the contractor who is working on my front garden and building the greenhouse to come and finish up, so I didn't think I would have enough time.

Well, the contractor was done by noon, and for the first time all week I was well rested. What to do? Hop in the car and zip into Seattle to the show, of course. Which is what I did. I was only going to have the afternoon to check everything out, so it was a bit of a whirlwind.

The first thing I did when I got into the show was go to the Small Space Showcase on the Skybridge. Go here to find out exactly what the Small Space Showcase is. I often find these small quirky container gardens to be more interesting and full of take-home ideas than the big fancy displays. You should read The Outlaw Gardener's post about them here.

Anyway, here are some vignettes from the Small Space Showcase gardens. I zipped through them at lightning speed, so I neglected to take overall photos of each of them.

I've been looking for interesting ways to display Tillandsias


These vases are such a great shape!







Love the plant in the apron pocket

This was a striking display. Isn't that a great pot?

I love these pyramidal containers too

A closer look at the plants in the shorter of the two




I'm sure you're wondering about the title of my post -- How to Lasso a Yucca rostrata. Well, did you see it? In the picture above.

Maybe it's more like a garrotte.


I guess those suckers are top-heavy.


14 comments:

  1. They can be top heavy especially if it's not well rooted or rootball has been damaged on transit or whilst being positioned for display. Their roots are so brittle too. We use the same technique when we first plant them out, tied to a stake for support until they become well established and rooted to the ground. Nice pics btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice details, I'm glad you did attend the show. Between you and Peter we have a good look at the displays.

    Safety First when it comes to large spiky plants on public display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of the containers, Alison! I'm glad you were able to get to the show. As for the insomnia, I sympathize - it has been plaguing me too of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I wish I had the imagination to come up with some of those displays, glad you were able to attend Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha....I thought you were going to tell us all about the Y. rostrata you "lasso-ed" at the show! I was picturing you wrestling it into your car. Thanks for the close-ups of the plants in my favorite booth. Everything (even the background fence) supports the color theme so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I never heard of you missing an opportunity to take in a show or a road trip. Good that you didn't ruin your record over a little lack of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you got to the show if ever so briefly. I don't know what I would do with only an afternoon. We usually spend a whole day, from opening to nearly closing. Just not this year.
    Speaking of insomnia, my last two nights have been mostly sleepless. I guess it's a good thing I have nothing on my calendar. I hate long, sleepless nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to attend the show, too. It sure was amazing, loved all the container gardens. I could never come up with all those ideas myself, they are works of art. I guess that plant needs staking up, scary if it tipped over.

    Insomnia has been a companion of mine lately, too. I wish I could bid it adieu. I started counting my heartbeats out of desperation and found that it puts me to sleep, if that makes any sense. Like counting sheep. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing for those of us who can't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Yucca rostrata etc. display and the containers - perfect. A great idea (brain churning)...thanks for making the trip indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you got to the show! I was thinking of going again on Friday but after being there for 13 hours on Thursday, I thought I'd seen everything. You got some great shots of the details of the sky bridge gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative and interesting, though for the most part not my kind of thing. I like using the tool box as a planter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the close ups of the displays.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.