Saturday, February 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, February 2014

Welcome to my first Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post of 2014. I haven't posted pictures of my own garden for Bloom Day since October 2013. I do have a little handful of flowers blooming, and darn it! I'm going to show them off.

Lots of Hellebores. Here's a sample. It's hard to get good photos of them, since so many face the ground.





Cyclamen coum are flowering too. Another flower that requires getting down nearly on my belly.



Hepatica is close to flowering, it has plenty of unopened buds. But as of 5 p.m. yesterday, they were all still closed.

And my witch hazel 'Jelena' is still flowering too. These flowers last a long time.



While technically it's not out in my garden, I do have one very confused Brugmansia about to bloom in my windowless garage. I realized my Brugs have leafed out because the construction guys had the garage door open every day for 8 hours or so while they were working, so even though it was quite cold, they were getting plenty of sunlight.




That's it for my garden. Hop on over to Carol Michel's blog May Dreams Gardens here and check out all the other Bloom Day posts from garden bloggers around the world.

17 comments:

  1. Your hellebores are gorgeous--do you know which cultivar the second one is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more Hellebores (easily remedied, I know!) That second one is amazing! And I'd have 'Jelena" in a heartbeat if only I had the room. Happy Bloom Day, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got an enviable Helly-o-bore collection! (yes Peter told me about the Helly-o-bores)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon all kinds of things will be bursting forth! Spring is stirring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried to grow a hellebore. I don't know if they like our climate. Yours are beautiful.

    Brugmansias are just weird. Last year I had a bunch of cuttings, decided against them this year and guess what? I am afraid nothing will come back from my dead sticks in the garden. Well, not from the dead sticks, from the roots in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the first hellebore - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to see Cyclamen coum in the garden, I have to grow mine in the greenhouse, and hey - I forget to add it to my GBBD post! Oh well, I enjoyed yours! SO nice to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely hellebores there, Alison. And I love cyclamen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for Hellebores! Love your confused brugmansia; your garage will smell fab in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just think, next winter your Brug will have fancy new greenhouse digs-assuming there is a climate control plan. Maybe one of those mechanics creepers is what we need for rolling around the garden to take photos of the low-down spring stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photos, and the one close up of the hellebore is stunning! I bet you were almost lying on your tummy to get some of these shots. I want to design a stained glass lamp of hellebores in the future and your pictures are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the double hellebores but don't have one yet. I am anxious to see how my Skagit Gardens ones I bought last year that are more outward-facing do. I love your Jelena too, such a nice color. I'm still waiting for any blooms, so nice to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous blooms to see growing outside....I can't wait. At least I know mine are nestled under the snow all snug warm and fertilized by the snow waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like its all getting started over then in your garden now Alison. I do love those blood like markings on the white hellebore. I hope you've had a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloom Day passed me right on by but that's OK cuz I can bask in yours.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.