Friday, March 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- March 2013

I hope you're not sick of seeing Hellebores. If you are -- well, skip down, there's more to see. Most of the Hellebores that I've shown have been recent purchases, already blooming when bought. These are the ones that have been growing in my garden for a year or more, now blooming.


'Mardi Gras Double'

I'm concerned about the floppiness at Mardi Gras' base. It seems to be afflicted by some kind of mold, fungus or rot, which I haven't seen on any of my other Hellebores.






'Ivory Prince'



Primroses are thriving, as usual.






Pink Hepatica (being photo-bombed by the blue one directly behind)

Feeling a little blue?

Brunnera macrophylla

Brunnera and Cyclamen coum

Chionodoxa forbesii/Glory of the snow



Last fall I divided and potted up some Pulmonaria, leaving one piece in the ground. Now the potted ones are blooming and the one in the ground is not.



Marsh marigold in the stream has one flower open, but plenty more coming soon

I'm very happy to see so many flowers on my Indian Plum/Oemleria cerasiformis. I moved it in January to make it part of the screen/backdrop against the back fence. It hasn't missed a beat, and in fact is flowering even more profusely than ever, leaving me hopeful of seeing lots of fruit this fall. Not that I would ever eat it, because reportedly, it is more pit than pulp, and the size of a cherry. But the birds and other wildlife might, which is one of the reasons why this native small tree was planted.



Indian Plum/Oemleria cerasiformis


And in the not quite flowering yet department:

Mukdenia rossii

Primula

Variegated Petasites

Mahonia repens

Dog-tooth Lily/Erythronium dens-canis




Euphorbia

I hope you enjoyed this look at what's blooming or about to bloom in my garden. Check out Carol Michel's blog May Dreams Gardens, the host for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, where you'll find hundreds of other blog posts around the world.

12 comments:

  1. Not tired of seeing hellebores at all, they are beautiful and don't grow well here so I continue to enjoy from afar. Indian plum is new to me and it is so pretty.

    Your blooms are beautiful! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never get tired of hellebores! They provide such a welcome dose of winter color which lasts a long time and their foliage is wonderful the rest of the year. I've not seen that fungus/rot thing before. Sorry about that & hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the plant! Love your dog tooth lilies! I have a clump of yellow ones and bought a pink one at a plant sale a while ago. Maybe I should chect and see if they're up yet. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree.. Bring the hellebores on! ... Primula too... Never enough! Seeing all these blooms in your gardens makes me more anxious than ever for spring here in east central Wisconsin! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have quite a variety of interest in your garden! Much more than I do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous my Erythronium dens-canis , I've had in the ground for years refuses to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ha! I think I've just solved the riddle of the white flowering bush in my laurel hedge! I was thinking it was a Flowering Current.
    Hellebores never get old for me. I'm addicted to them. I hope you find out what that mold is all about. Happy GBBD! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. the "not flowering quite yet" is my favourite stage!!! thanks for sharing those ones!! beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tired of Hellebores! I love them. My Pulmonaria is really behind this year. I think when people were taking the wood from the tree that was cut down they really got beat up.
    You have such a pretty variety of early spring bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HannahMarch 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    I just bought a bunch of new Hellebores, none are double, now I wish I had one, they look great. My new ones are mostly the upward/outward facing ones with colors from white to pink to green, like your Ivory Prince, and the frosty foliage. So I guess I'm not bored yet. I don't know what is best for fungus but I used to treat daylilies by submerging in bleach water.

    I have wild Oemlerias in my yard but never see fruit, they are dioecious so a plant is either male or female, so I guess I just have male plants, at least I've never found fruit. I would like to try them, apparently there is not much flesh on the fruit but they have a wild almond taste from Cyanide so would be good for flavoring?

    My Cowslip is not yet showing buds, but some that I grew from seed last year are showing buds and I found a flower opening on a P. elatior I grew, so I am excited. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy seeing the hellebores for the same reason as Shirley ... I can't grow them. I do hope you can figure out what's going on with the rot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a nice tutorial for things to add. I was looking back and finding my March posts featuring the same things year after year.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.