Sunday, October 7, 2012

What I've Been Doing With All Those Rocks

Remember all those rocks that came out of the bed where I planted my two new trees? Well, I originally hauled all those rocks into the back yard and dumped them near the shed.

Then, I had a brilliant idea for what to do with them. So I hauled a bunch of them back into the front. It was good exercise.

My brilliant idea was jump-started by looking through all the pictures I've pinned on Pinterest of dry stream beds and edging ideas using rocks, like this and this and this.

And then I looked for even more dry stream bed pictures, like this and this and this. (Hopefully, all those links will work.)

I have no shortage of inspiration (or perspiration, come to think of it). I really am afraid that what is lacking is imagination. Although -- no, I can imagine quite a lot, so maybe it's the implementation that's the problem.

I spent plenty of time last week on my hands and knees in that bed (again), placing rocks (I was also planting/replanting/transplanting perennials and shrubs, but that's another post).

The front edge of the bed, near the street



My neighbor saw me out there and said if I needed more rocks, she knew where I could get them (apparently she has a pile very much like mine).

Around the corner. The line is too straight and uniform, but it's hard when so many of the somewhat larger rocks are all the same size and shape.




We kind of commiserated about the joys of gardening in such sandy, rocky soil. She said she had considered doing something similar to what I'm attempting, but she was afraid it would just look like a random pile of rocks.

Too straight. Maybe I can disguise that by draping it with plants.

Actually starting to run out of the smaller river rock

Trying to vary them as much as possible


Hopefully mine looks a little better than a random pile of rocks. I think I need to add something to it. Glass bottles? Pots? Some kind of garden decor? And, of course, more plants.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Alison, I think it looks lovely and, truly, when the rain makes it eventual return, you will have a great drainage system, that is not only decorative, will keep the soils in place but is also along the lines of a 'rain garden'! How ingenious are you?!! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to recycling of rock! You could easily make that straight line curved with a few more rocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to recycling of rock! You could easily make that straight line curved with a few more rocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to recycling of rock! You could easily make that straight line curved with a few more rocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I can commiserate. I had the same issues, and you can see some of my tinkering with rocks here http://laurries.blogspot.com/2011/07/subtraction.html

    You have a really great start. A little more curviness, some plants draped over (I like Ice Dancer sedge, and Hakonechloa Japanese Forest grasses) and just a few larger boulder-sized accents (small boulders, but a little more weighty than what you already have) and you will like it more. I still fuss with my rock bed, so maybe it never gets exactly right!

    Love your pinterest boards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. All of my rocks are square and not nice and round like those. It was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks great so far, love the larger rocks creating 'sweeps' of hardscape. I like the idea of using some bottles to add to the garden. What a great transformation to your front yard. Hard work too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your energy for this! I think you have the beginnings of something great here. We've been mucking around with rocks in the Northwest Territory garden, and although it's far from perfect, the Mulch Man is pleased. I think we need some medium sized rocks after seeing yours and your Pinterest pins. Plants will make the difference and soften evrything attractively. If it would just rain (did I really say that?) we could put them in...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the way that looks and you did a nice job of making it flow naturally. There is no fear of running out of any kind of rocks here in the PNW..I have always thought that they grow new baby rocks over the winter..haha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I'm tired just thinking of all the work you've done on this project. I hear the theme from "Rocky" playing in the background of the video montage of this bed's transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings and kudos from a fellow rock hound. I can't resist picking up small, smooth rocks wherever I see them...easier than digging them up, but slower to accumulate critical mass. Your approach seems to be evolving: that last shot looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you have done. I can relate to your not being sure if you like it the way it is. I'm thinking just like we change our plantings over time, you'll probably tweak your rocks, as well. It could be fun adding glass and such. I am kidding, but what about adding a few bowling balls? Our neighbors across the street have at least a dozen in their small yard. LOL I do agree that plants draping over them will look good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a popular trend in Malaysia to use rocks in our gardens. I like the way you have arranged them. I use mine as a boundary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its looking lovely, like a dry water way.

    Gaz: Alternative Eden

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.