Monday, October 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day -- October 2012

The garden is most definitely winding down out there as far as flowers go. I have quite a few seedpods still ripening -- Butterfly weed, Blackberry lily, Agastache 'Golden Jubilee', and an unknown native Aster -- all of which I plan to harvest and sow more of over the winter. Of course, now that the rain is back, they are rather soggy, so maybe I should gather what seeds I can now.

I did brave the rain on Sunday to get out there and take some pictures of my plants that are still blooming, but some of these were taken last week when it was still dry. Others were taken just this morning, during a break in the rain when the sun actually came out again and there were patches of  blue sky.

Penstemon 'Tubular Bells' beside the stream

I actually forgot this was there, planted from seed. There were so many other earlier bloomers covering it up, and when I cut them back, the Penstemon saw its opportunity and took it.

Also 'Tubular Bells' but a slightly different set of colors



Joe-Pye Weed 'Little Joe' and little bee

Kniphofia 'Creamsicle' -- a tiny, delicate flower in the gravel garden. I planted three different torch lilies this year, and this was the only one to bloom

Rosemary

Begonia grandis



Hydrangea 'Pistachio' still in its container, blooming profusely.

Impatiens omeiana, also flowering in its pot. I bought it for its foliage, had no idea it produced such lovely little flowers.

Enormous Fuchsia magellanica has been flowering for months. It never needed cutting back after our easy winter, and hasn't skipped a beat for flowers during our long, dry summer. I'm sure the hummers are grateful.

I've had some minor success rooting cuttings this year, so I may give this Fuchsia a try in the early spring.
'Sheffield Pink' Chrysanthemum


This seed-sown Dahlia has now returned two years in a row

NOID Dahlia, but I love the colors. I'm going to give this one a much more prominent spot in next year's garden.

Japanese Anemone 'Pamina' looks a bit beaten down by the rain
Pennisetum 'Karley Rose' also heavily laden with rain, has been drooping all summer actually

It's the wrong time of year for our native Dicentra formosa to be blooming, but this one self-sowed this year in an odd spot, and it's been determined to grow big and strong so it could bloom before the year is out.

That's about it for October, here in my Pacific Northwest Garden south of Seattle, in what is probably zone 7b, but might be 8 (who knows any more?). Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted by Carol Michel at May Dreams Gardens, and lots of other great posts are waiting for you at the link.

11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely Penstemon, mine wont flower till Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great your pretty Kniphofia 'Creamsicle' bloomed its first year. I've eyed that one in catalogs too. Some of my Kniphofia have taken multiple years to bloom. I expect it depends on the species and degree of hybridization. Your seed-sown dahlia is pretty - I'm very impressed that you grew a tuber from seed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blooms are so pretty! I'm especially impressed with that large fuchsia! I'm encouraged to find one for my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the Kniphofia popsickle series was supposed to bloom nonstop from the moment you put them in the ground? (kidding...I'm alluding to the marketing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely autumn flowers! I love dahlias and fuchsias, loved your photos. My Dicentra has already died down, it is in a shady spot but still...and yours is still in flower! Amazing flowers on the Begonia grandis, haven't seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have quite a few things still in bloom! My cosmos are still blooming...well, they were, after this storm that just started about an hour ago, I'm afraid they won't be around long.

    I have decided to take many of those seeds you gave me, to the City House, as it is a much more hopistable environment and the ones that need to be outside but not in the elements will be able to find a place there.

    Stay safe and dry in this nasty, stormy weather that we are to have tonight! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! so beautiful! That Fuchsia Magellanica is fabulous. I'm assuming that is hardy for you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, what a night of wind and rain. I'm afraid to go outside and look at my garden. Your blooms look gorgeous & I especially like your NOID Dahlia. Who is this NOID person? He or she seems to have a lot of plants named after him/her :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your penstemons, so showy. I'm envious of your hardy fuschia too! What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The raindrops add such sparkle to everything...though, alas, the rain has beaten down most everything I had still in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that red and white penstemon, great bold color. Self-seed dahlia? wow, Need to figure out where I can plant some. My garden is an example of extremes...wet slimy clay or hard dry brick. Have been amending with worm castings and compost....maybe in a year or two.
    I bought Karly Rose for our HOA front gate, hoping it puts on a good show for many years. Love the pink seed heads.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.