Saturday, April 9, 2011

Heaven is in Orting, Washington

Well, a little slice of heaven, at least. Especially if your version of heaven includes a lovely, peaceful, moss-laden woodland garden with a mountain view.

 (Click the pictures to make them larger)

The Chase Garden is a 50-year old, 4 1/2-acre display garden in Orting, the creation of Emmott and Ione Chase. It includes gravel paths that wind their way across a meadow.....

 .....through a native wildflower woodland, where at every turn you encounter moss-shrouded rocks...





...and shaggy, heavily laden driftwood...





You pass beds containing perennials, as well as various rhododendrons and other shrubs and trees.

















Built on a hillside with a view of the mountains of the Pacific Northwest, I hear that, on a clear day, it has a spectacular view of Mt. Rainier.


I'll have to go back to find out.

Good thing it is on the Garden Conservancy's Open Days program this year, on May 22, 2011.


The Chase Garden
16015 264th Street East
Orting, WA.

Open April to October, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for self-guided tours
Admission: $5.00
"The purpose of a garden is to create beauty in natural surroundings." -- Ione Chase

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this garden's beauty with all the gorgeous shots you took. Love all the moss and lichen! Have you been to the Goat Farm in Orting? I hear that is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is definitely my idea of heaven and, since I think you know how much I personally love mosses, ferns, lichens, driftwood, rocks, boulders, stones and trees, I'm taking this post very 'personally'!!! So, thank you for sharing this wonderful place with us, Alison...I'm looking forward to our next visit in May and seeing all the changes as the season progresses. Hope you don't think I'm presumptious inviting myself along :)

    Going to check out your son's blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by to comment on my flea market finds.... would love to have you link this post to the garden party i host on Thursday's.....so many pretty photo's you have to share! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the moses photos. It is always such a wonder that a small plant like fern and moss can host many living things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely visit, the moss makes everything so soft and green. Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. I bet you really enjoyed yourself and found inspiration to bring to your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that is a gorgeous spot! You'll have to go back when you get a view of the King of the Mountains. I love the variations of lichen and moss. In May you should see the rhodies in bloom too :) Great post Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, this is an amazing garden and it looks so vast and peaceful. Love the moss-covered rocks, they are absolutely delightful. The flowers are so pretty, especially the white, pendulous one, is that a dogtooth lily by any chance? Love the graceful way it grows.

    So many textures with the bark and moss, lovely post, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tour! I love learning about new gardens to visit. I looked on the map to see how far Orting is from here and see it's close to where my sister used to live in the South Hill part of Puyallup. This has been a great year for moss, and it looks so pretty on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, thank you for the wonderful tour. I love moss in the garden and nature.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.