Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Fool's Gold for Foliage Followup

Here in the PNW we love our golden-leaved plants. Maybe because we spend so much time sun-deprived, we're desperate to see something bright out in the garden. Lately the weather has been doing its own version of the fan dance, teasing us with glimpses of sun and then snatching them away. We did have three or four days of sunshine, which have been followed by days full of what we call "sunbreaks," where the sun breaks through the clouds and the rain stops briefly, sometimes for only 15 minutes, sometimes for almost half a day.

Recently during one of those sunbreaks I ran out quick with the camera and took photos of many of my golden plants. I finished just in time for the rain to return.

Golden Feverfew/Tanacetum parthenium 'Aureum'

Silene dioica 'Ray's Golden Campion'

Sedum 'Angelina'

Agastache 'Golden Jubilee'

Carex -- probably Bowles Golden Sedge

Himalayan Honeysuckle/Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns'

Acer circinatum 'Pacific Fire' -- red twigs and chartreuse leaves

Hakonecloea macra with Sedum 'Angelina'

Eryngium 'Neptune's Gold'

Dicentra 'Gold Heart'




Pam at Digging hosts Foliage Followup on the day after Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, to celebrate the role of foliage in the garden. Check out her post here.

12 comments:

  1. My favorite leafy color ! For just that reason. I just planted that Eryngium !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gold foliage and grow many of these plants. That Leycesteria grew well for me for a number of years before disappearing. It was a great plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too! Still trying to find the Leycesteria. I have special ordered it and hope they can find it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure like our gold leafs around here: it's a sun substitute is suppose.
    The emerging new leafs of Agastache 'Golden Jubilee', with the hint of purple or bronze, is quite the vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we can't have golden rays in our sky than at least we can have them in our garden...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your gold leaves as well, especially in combination with deep purples -- a combo we can't easily attain here in Texas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! The fan dance analogy made me laugh. Golden and chartreuse foliage certainly are valuable on our dark, cloudy fall through spring days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember hearing the term "sunbreak" (or maybe it was "sunburst") during a business trip to Seattle years and years ago - it didn't compute on the first mention but I quickly realized its meaning. I hope you get a steady stream of sunny days soon! In the meantime, your gold foliage does an excellent job of brightening things up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I never realized how good gold foliage looks when it's overcast. Here they mostly look sad - probably because we have the opposite weather problem, with the sun super bright. Your garden looks great, and I hope you get more sun breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hope that fan dance over the sun reveals a bit more for a few days.
    I love golden foliage too. It was fun to see some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yellow is my favorite color and I particularly love yellow/gold-leaved plants. You have an amazing variety of such! They bring a smile.

    In my yard in south Houston, TX, I mainly rely on yellow-leaf duranta for those hits of sunshine leaves. Since I like them to offset against purple, there are areas where I have planted them in front of purple-leaf loropetalum. The colors are particularly brilliant in Spring. The loropetalum does 'green' out to more of a bronze color after the initial spring growth, but it is still very pretty. And the duranta keeps its color, and continues to grow throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yo, Ma Nature, loose the damned cloudy fans already! I'd never thought about it that way but gold foliage does help us with the lack of sunshine. There's a spot in one of my hell strips where Sedum 'Angelina' or some similar golden succulent has spread quite a bit and it glows even on cloudy days.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.