Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Winter's Last Gasp?

When I woke up yesterday morning, there was snow on the ground. There were threats over the weekend that we would get some, but it didn't come till overnight on Sunday, just in time for the bleary-eyed Monday morning commute. Joy!

Over the course of the day the temps warmed up, and it melted, and then it snowed again, melted and snowed, melted and snowed, over and over, sometimes in big fluffy flakes under blue skies, sometimes in hard, hail-like pellets. I guess that's what they call snow showers.

During one of the snowy periods I went out and took some pictures.



Will I ever get around to cutting back my grasses? Or anything else, for that matter. I find once I stop gardening for the winter, it's difficult to get the energy and enthusiasm to start up again. We've had some cold but dry spells, all I have to do is dress somewhat warmly and I could be out there singing "The Marseillaise" and chopping their heads off like a French revolutionary.


The birds have been hungry

They left this guy with a Mohawk

Winter jasmine

Hepatica

I love how the snow reinforces the geometric patterns of certain foliage, like this Trachycarpus

Or the chevrons of Mahonia x media 'Charity'

I need more Cyclamen hederifolium

I bet I could fit a few more Hellebores in too

Captive oak leaf in the clutches of Sedum 'Angelina'

Buddha doesn't mind the snow, why should I?

What do you think? Is this winter's last gasp? It's March, for Pete's sake!