Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Don't Be Jealous...

I got to see Peter's greenhouse on Saturday!

I started out by meeting him at the Tacoma Dome so that we could make the rounds of the Tacoma Home and Garden Show (which was disappointing, due to the meager number and variety of gardening vendors and displays). After the show we went to lunch at a Tacoma restaurant called Gateway to India (mmmm yummy curry). During lunch I twisted his arm and managed to talk him into letting me come back to his place to check out the new greenhouse. I'm so glad he said yes!

This is the gasp-inducing sight that greets you when you step through the door.

This quirky, smirky lady stands beside the stained glass door


Hmmm...perhaps I should start putting a blue rinse in my white hair and wearing orange lipstick and eye shadow. That's quite a look.



The greenhouse is just packed with fabulous plants and marvelous art.


One garden pest captured! Quick, spray that thing with Neem oil.


And then...my camera battery died! So that's all I've got to share with you. But what a great day! Not only did I get to see Peter and his greenhouse, but I also scored the remainder of the Spanish moss that Peter got on ebay, and a packet of seeds for Lychnis x arkwrightii, saved by his niece (also called Alison). You can see photos of this Lychnis in Peter's blog post here.

Thank you so much Peter, and I hope I didn't break your arm twisting it.

15 comments:

  1. What tantalizing photos! Just enough to want to see more. If you had a little cheap camera like mine with two AA batteries, you could switch the batteries, turn them over and get a few more pics in an emergency. (One goes up, one goes down).

    What a treat it must have been to walk around in there and call the names of every plant, check out the treatment of the garage door and admire the artful displays.

    I'm sorry to hear that the Garden Show was not as swell as hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be a little jealous? I don't think I've seen his greenhouse so brightly lit yet. Maybe he caught it on a bright day on one of the posts I've missed. So many fabulous plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard not to be jealous Alison when Peter's new space looks so fun and full of goodies! Not to mention having Peter as company :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, the pleasure was mine! Seeing you again is as refreshing and delightful as seeing the first blooms of January. Both are a sign that spring and a new garden season full of adventures is on the way! Sorry that everything was such a mess! The doctor says the cast can come off in six weeks and with physical therapy, my arm will be back to normal in no time:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jealous, Alison, but you've assuaged that a bit by showing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! And yes, you know we're all a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the photos--and that Begonia luxurians (or is it Schefflera taiwaniana??) is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're such an accomplished arm twister! It looks like Peter built it ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is great!!!! it looks fabulous! and the plants look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thank you for the sneak peek! "Fabulous plants and marvelous art" does describe Peter's garden style!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, I'm jealous! That gnome in the birdcage made me laugh out loud. And yes, I do think you'd look fab with blue hair and orange lipstick - give it a whirl, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No to the blue hair, yes to the eye shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure that greenhouse is larger than my home.
    Your a lucky lady getting a tour Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great greenhouse...and love the decorative touches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow -- how big is that greenhouse? It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.