Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, March 2014

I almost typed April 2014 in the headline for this post. I guess that's an indication of how much I really wish it were spring right now. We recently jumped forward only an hour, not a whole month!

This past week was a good one for working in the garden. We had a string of dry, warm days, so I spent as much time as possible out there. I filled the yard waste bin to the brim on Friday, only one day after emptying it. And I have little piles of branches and buckets full of weeds dotted all around the garden. I'm still not even close to finished with the spring clean-up,  but I managed to take a half-hour or so to run around the garden with the camera to document what's blooming, and almost blooming, for Bloom Day.

I've been so busy working in the front garden, I almost missed some of the prettiest ephemerals in the back.

Erythronium, a bit mud-splashed

Trillium ovatum, also a bit mud-splashed

Cyclamen coum

Brunnera just starting to open

Pulmonaria

Hepatica

Indian plum, a favorite small native tree

Ribes sanguineum, not quite open yet, but soon -- and look at that blue sky!

Camellia 'April Kiss' has lots of buds, still tightly closed -- well maybe they'll be open in April

Viburnum bodnantense is close to open too

It was such a windy day when I took these pics, this Forsythia branch was dancing all over

Another slightly mud-splashed flower, an apricot-colored Primrose

Euphorbia in the gravel garden

I hope you're not too bored with Hellebores, but it's their time. I'll only show two. You can see some of my other Hellebores in this post.



That's it for now. Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! Bloom Day is hosted by Carol Michel at May Dreams Gardens on the 15th of every month. Check here, and see what else is blooming all around the world.

20 comments:

  1. So many pretties that grow and bloom in cool Springs. Most of them are not comfortable here when we heat up, come April. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Is it weird that I'm a bit jealous of your mud? We could use more rain down here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hasn't it be a beautiful week for gardening? I've filled my bins as well. I've also got sod everywhere, we've been digging up whats left of the lawn . Lovely blooms day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not time for us to garden yet here in upstate New York. Every week I hope it's the last cold wave, the last threat of snow, but alas, not this year. I enjoyed all of your flowers, each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take fabulous photos, Alison. The blue of that Hepatica is stunning. We have had a warm sunny week too, what a difference it makes and how much you can get done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like the trillium I have. Is it the NW native? Glad you took a break from slinging mud to show us what you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking a moment to show us your blooms! I too, love the Indian Plum. Whenever I see it bloom, I know that spring is right around the corner! Happy bloom day, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must get more hepaticas, yours is lovely. As is the second hellebore. I know what you mean about the Spring clear up.. I need a month of good weather. At least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Peter are giving me some serious Hellebore-envy. Mine are pretty ho-hum compared with your dramatic double-numbers.I'm relieved to hear there is someone else not done with spring clean-up !

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do have some lovely flowers right now! Hooray for spring! I'm loving the spring cleanup. I've got half of my front flowerbed still to finish, plus any and all weeding that I have time for. Everything looks so much better when it just has the green shoots coming up. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that your days are warming up - that makes it so much more enjoyable to work in the garden. I do indeed wish you could send some of your rain down this way. I continue to admire your success with hellebores!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally, cannot get enough of hellebores! I love your varieties, you'll have to share which ones they are. I'm been out doing the big spring clean up and moving about 16 yards of bark mulch. It's that time of year. Loved the blue sky in your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the ribes with that blue sky! I've been gardening all week, too. So glad to hear it sounds like your back is all better now - good timing for spring. Happy Bloom Day, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like all of your close up flower photos! We are so fortunate that spring really does arrive on time in March!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're ahead of me with Hepatica, Erythronium, Trillium, and Brunnera none of which are blooming yet in my garden. The Camellia japonicas all over my hood are in full tilt. Interesting how different plants react to our different locations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's fun to see your flowers, your ephemerals and Ribes are ahead of mine. It is so delightful to see new flowers popping up, and warm sunshine. I have a lot of garden clean-up still plus a lot of transplanting and seed-starting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I always forget bloom day, so it's nice to find others. (Everyday is bloom day!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to read you are getting out and about Alison. You've some very pretty blooms there. Glad you spared a short time to share what's blooming in your garden with us. I have to admit doing the same, remembered the date at the very last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love seeing the Indian plums start blooming along the roads and in the woods. It's when I know spring is upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is truly already spring in your garden, Alison! Gorgeous blooms and photos ;) We just got dumped on...7" last night...so all of my hellebores and crocus blooms are covered in white today. Yuck! So wanting to get out and start my garden cleanup and digging.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.