Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Peek Inside the Greenhouse 2

It's been a month since I last showed inside the greenhouse, so I thought I'd revisit it as part of The Greenhouse Year meme at The Patient Gardener's Weblog by Helen Johnstone (you can read her post here, and if you're curious about others' greenhouses, you can find links in the comments).

It's getting more crowded in there, so I've already given up on the thought of putting a chair and little table out there for sitting. I visit the greenhouse at least once a day, sometimes just to check on things, but also to sow seeds (and listen to the rain drumming on the roof). I did a post recently about all the seed sowing I've been doing, you can read it here.

I sowed grass seed in the small round area on the right, but so far no germination. But it's been less than a week.

I've moved all of my indoor over-wintering plants out to the greenhouse now, so real estate is getting precious, especially if I still want to be able to move around in there without knocking something over.

My Walla Walla onions are germinating like crazy. Don't they look cute with their seed hull hats?

So far only one artichoke. I'm hoping for more from seed I saved from my own plants.

Lettuce is doing well too.

Are you wondering what's in the bins? They're the ones I was planning to use in my hoophouse. I decided to move them in here instead. Inside the bins are heat mats and pots with seeds of Ricinus communis 'Carmencita' and 'New Zealand Purple,' as well as Solanum marginatum and Solanum pyracanthum. So far, no germination, but they've only been out there a couple of days.


All of the tropical plants that I either bought recently or that I had been over-wintering inside are going like gangbusters.

My Musa sikkimensis, which indoors produced all-green leaves all winter, has now started producing green with dark stripes again.

Ctenanthe oppenheimeriana 'Tricolor' is flowering

My variegated orange Abutilon has started flowering since I brought it out here too.

Remember all those ghostly white leaves my Brugs started producing in the garage? They've all greened up nicely, and are looking so lush.

And the variegated one is variegated again

It looks good next to this Begonia.

The new fronds on the Cycad are almost finished unfurling


I recently repotted a bunch of little Agaves, and while moving them around, I managed to impale the back of my hand on the large Agave 'Baccarat' in the brown pot. That was a big ouch!

The Bromelaids are all out there now, cowering from the sun underneath the table.

My rusty bat from Blackwaters Metal is hanging beside the door.

If my seeds don't all sprout, I'll have to unleash my flying monkeys (also from Blackwaters Metal).

31 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous, Alison. The seeds germinating for sure but also how beautiful all your tropicals are looking. Makes me think I need to start saving my money. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So envious of your greenhouse. I love being in a greenhouse with rain drumming on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thanks for peek inside and your flying monkeys crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. You are having all kinds of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh Alison you have been busy. All your plants look so healthy. I love the stone lined path leading to the greenhouse too. My abuliton has been attacked by some insects doest look at all as pretty as yours....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice setup Alison! You are making great use of that greenhouse space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Alison...I am green with (plant) envy! How wonderful! I love the bat, too! So cool.. thank you for sharing, now I have something new to daydream about :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics Alison, looking great inside too and love the little touches (and the flooring!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an enthousiastic gardener. Thanks to let us have a look into your greenhouse. So pretty that rusty bat outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greenhouses are such a joy! I've dreamed of adding a comfy chair to my greenhouse, but I never seem to have the space. I have to content myself with sitting on a folding step stool, but the view is still good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So jealous - it looks like a wonderland! We used to have cocktails in the greenhouse in the evenings. You sip your drink with one hand and pick up plants with the other an look at them :) I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have flying monkeys!!!!

    Everything looks so happy in there, I imagine you fit right in, smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Alison, your greenhouse is amazing! It tickles me that I can look at your bat and flying monkeys and think of two fun field trips we had together! The plant sale season is starting again! We should check a few of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The range of plants in your greenhouse is wonderful! I'd love to have a place to safely winter over larger plants like that gorgeous variegated Brug. You are definitely an equal-opportunity gardener, and I love that. Now you just need to get a second greenhouse, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So envious of your spacious greenhouse. And delighted that it is working so well for you. Ouch indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It IS filling up! Maybe you could squeeze in a small stool - you could always stick that under a pot if it gets in the way. LOVE the flying monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's all go in there Alison - judging by what's already thriving, your seeds will do just as well. It's incredibly neat. I'm with Kris - I'll bet you could squeeze a tiny stool in there. What about a collapsible one?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a lot of interesting plants; is there a reason that you don't overwinter all the plants in the greenhouse but keep them in the garage or in the house? I overwinter my citrus plants in the greenhouse and next year hope to have salad crops in trays all winter; I only sowed in January this year but have had leaves to pick for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I probably said this before: I won't show these pictures to my plants, they will be jealous! All the plants look so happy! It's a much better accommodation for them than a garage or even a house. My Musa is struggling in the garage, but at least it's still alive. So many plants never make it through the winter without a greenhouse.
    I hope to see your greenhouse one day Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always anxious for a peek into a greenhouse, but I am overcome by your landscape outside before it's hardly begun.

    I betcha next fall I take brug cuttings. I'm seeing new growth in the garden, but some cuttings would speed up the process and there could never be too many.

    A stool on which to perch is much more useful than a comfy chair. There are too many things to jump up and take care of to get comfy. I use a step stool for climbing and perching. Low stools are handy for holding pots and watering cans and even visitors for tea. In a greenhouse, everything is portable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's hard to even be jealous when you are putting your greenhouse to such good use.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool, very impressive! If this were my greenhouse I would be poking my head in compulsively.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this green house was long overdue. You are having so much fun! Look at all the happy plants and I'm thinking... a happy you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, what a lovely greenhouse. And all those plants. You have a vast collection. Love those brugs. I wanted those once I saw the large blooms hanging like a bell. Oh my! Thanks for visiting my site too @thehypertufagardener.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's wonderful. I could spend ages in there admiring all your interesting and lovely plants

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks great and sounds so fun! I love how that garden by the greenhouse is looking, especially with sun shining on it! I LOVE the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything looks so green and lush in your greenhouse, how great to have a bright warm place to start seeds and overwinter plants. Your landscaping looks so neat and organized, and goes well with the broken concrete wall. I like your upside-down bat and flying monkeys, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm drooling over your greenhouse! What a fabulous hide out. Every thing looks so happy and healthy. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.