Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Trip to The Barn Nursery in Olympia, WA



Please tell me I am not the only person out there who would turn a trip to a BBQ Festival into a nursery exploration...

Today, Nigel and I went to the South Sound BBQ Festival. While I'm sure it was not a patch on true BBQ in the American South, it was still pretty good food. Nigel and I both love BBQ, and we had an assortment of pulled pork and brisket, with a side of cole slaw that was very lightly dressed. The festival was in Lacey, WA, which is just outside of Olympia, the state capital. I've been to a few plant swaps in Olympia since we moved here, and I went on a garden tour last year there, but I've never explored the nurseries nearby. So I decided to combine the BBQ Festival with a nursery trip. The Barn Nursery was just a little further down the road. OK, it was a 20-minute trip further, and the road was I-5. But I'm really glad I went.

The Barn Nursery is a quiet, quaint nursery, full of character, just outside of Olympia in Tumwater. They have lots of wonderful, well-cared-for plants and garden art, attentive personnel, and a big old red barn full of great stuff!











Here's what greets you when you go inside the red barn.


Aren't those wire dress forms cool? I bought the large one to use as a trellis for a Clematis.

A whole table full of chicken merchandise!







I would have bought one of these birdhouses, but they didn't appear to have a cleanout door.


They had plenty of stuff for the rust-lovers!

There was also a small demonstration garden.



I loved this driftwood bench. See how the piece underneath supporting it is planted up?
There was an Epiphyllum getting ready to bloom tonight.
And isn't this carousel horse fantastic? It was on sale, only $995.