Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Handful of Random Garden Views

Today is the first full day of summer, and it feels like it! Warm and dry! It made for a great day of gardening. I pulled some weeds, planted beaucoup new plants (yippee!), cut back and trimmed dead leaves from some old plants, worked up a sweat, and finally broke out the camera at the end. Most of the time, when I'm in the zone working like that, head down, butt up, on hands and knees, I don't really *see* my garden. But there were actually a couple of times today, when I looked up to take a breath, and realized "So that's what my garden looks like!"

I'm still planting things here and there in the so-called gravel garden. I'm saying so-called, because it still doesn't have its gravel mulch. Soon, I hope.

Some of the plants are already thriving there.




Sharp readers will notice that I did indeed go back to Old Goat Farm a couple of weeks ago and buy that Agave americana (there on the right in the green and black pot) that I left behind when I went for the Garden Conservancy's Open Days. I'm thinking maybe I should plant it in the big green pot. Right now there is an itty-bitty Jaws agave in there, with a couple of succulents.



My gardening buddy, Chester, a neighbor's cat, likes the warmth of the gravel in the parking area.

Down near the gate, I'm already putting into practice what I learned last weekend, about planting ferns, grasses and hostas together.

"Mummy says when we grow up we'll be a great plant combo!"

I put some concrete stepping stones in the bed, for anyone (well, me) who wants to step into the bed to look through the window in the fence. I put down some of the concrete stars that I made this past winter in my garage, too, when I was playing around with cement.



I actually started the day by cutting some flowers for a couple of 50-foot bouquets (like a 50-mile bouquet, but even closer to home). They were hanging down over the garden edging, in the grass, and I knew that if I didn't cut them, they would get mowed down later in the day when the grass cutting crew came. Those guys are notoriously oblivious to flowers. I guess they get into a zone when they work too. There's Heuchera, lady's mantle, lady fern, Dichelostemma, and a few grass seedheads.



It's in a vinegar bottle, I only have one little vase. The red label goes with the rest of the decor.

I think they turned out ok. Tomorrow the showers are slated to return, which is good, maybe the plants I planted today will get a good watering.

4 comments:

  1. Alison, your garden is just beautiful, all of the touches you have added make it so extra nice. I really like all of your special pots....it all makes for a truly a lovely place. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gardening style...that's one healthy cat you have visiting....no tile yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, love the gravel. It makes for a great mulch for all those succulents. I like the narrow neck of the vinegar bottle for your bouquet, helps keep the stems upright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to work in the garden, In the Zone and then stop to look at what you've accomplished? Your garden looks amazing. I love the Agave you bought. It would look really cool in that big pot. Chester looks like a total sweetie pie. Love the stepping stones, especially the stars. Love your fence/gate but I've said that before. :) Your shade-combo looks wonderful. The Lady's Mantle and Heuchera go great together. Dang, I just cut back some of my Lady's Mantle for the same reason you described. I should have put it in a vase. What was I thinking? Or not? :) Great post, Alison.

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.