Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Garden is Tired -- And So Am I


 I always conveniently forget how tired the garden is by the time fall comes around.

Even the ornamental grasses are too whipped to stand up straight

 How blown out and blowzy the plants are.



How they've crisped up from summer's lack of water.



Or they're mildewy.

I like to collect seeds, so I try to leave the seedheads on as long as possible.

Blackberry lily seedpods -- still waiting for them to open up

Same with daylilies


A sea of hardy geranium seedpods, waiting to fling their seeds far and wide

This was a Shasta daisy once...

But it's so hard to look at that stuff for long.

I need to leave the flowerless lily stalks up as long as possible, to nourish the bulbs for next year's growth


Fall's decline is as disheartening to me as spring's exuberance is invigorating. There's work to do out there, but it all involves cutting off dead flower stalks and tossing things into compost and yard waste bins.

What an appropriate season for Halloween to fall in

Or putting tools away.  Now that October is here, our fall rains have returned, so it's time to start planting again.

But I don't want to.

It's not that I mind working in the garden in the rain, I do it every spring. I've just lost my appetite for it.

13 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing this morning! It's so sad to see the plants get so top-heavy that they just topple over...even the strongest plants inevitably fall over after a few days...oh well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! If you just think of Fall as Spring in reverse--pull out plants instead of planting them--it may help with some vigor!
    And the more you cut down/replant now, the less work in the spring!
    Hang in there!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rain sure has returned,although the sun is peaking out right now. I feel pretty overwhelmed with what needs to be done outside too right now. I still have plant that need to be planted in the ground, but not feeling inspired yet about where to put them. I'm already counting down til Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison, I think fall and winter come along to give us a break and renew our spirits as we find other winter chores to do. I clipped, pulled and chopped on Sunday. My heart was not in it, but, it was beginning to look foul. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something entirely different about working in a spring rain than a fall rain isn't there? It can rain harder, and be colder, in the spring but you hardly notice at the promise of all that lays ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jenni's comment and think she makes a very good point! So, allow yourself some respite. You worked hard all spring and summer and had a beautiful garden to show for it. You will get your enthusiasm and drive back when the time is right :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel like I am picking up after someone who had a big party in my garden all summer and I was so busy I couldn't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEP. ME TOO! Your photo of what once was a Shasta Daisy is the perfect visual of my gardening mood lately. Brown and wilting, a little slimy and not pretty to look at. I keep waiting for the garden verve to return but, well, let's just say I'm still waiting. Thank you, Alison for this post. I feel a little better knowing it's not just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in a race against weather to finish my giant To Do list or all my transplants won't have time to settle their roots. It's more work than fun right now, but I know I'll enjoy the results next summer so I keep chugging away. I'm always glad when winter arrives because I need the break as much as the garden does! Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I welcome the opportunity to work in the rain! We are finally getting some misty rain today and yesterday...measuring about 15/100 inch. My Blackberry Lilies have been in the blackberry stage for over a month now...I love it when they look like this. I hope some of my hardy Geraniums threw some seeds before the deer ate the plants to a nub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for articulating my current mood perfectly, Alison. I feel slightly curmudgeonly not being happier during fall, but, like you, I've kind of used up my energy and lost my summer verve. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has to force herself into the garden to clean up...and there's so much of that still to come. You'll power me forward in spirit next time I suit up for the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the title of this post as I feel the same! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog. I am now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just about finished with all of it too! So glad we don't live in a zone where it's YEAR ROUND gardening! :0)

    Enjoyed looking at your gardening - lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.