Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back Porch Redo

Remember this mess?



And this?

I managed to sort through all this, and reorganize it on my new potting bench. I gave the old wooden table away on craigslist. I used a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought some new pieces for the porch, to make a cozy spot to sit and read with a cup of coffee.

What do you think?
It has kind of a zen simplicity to it. I thought maybe it was too plain. Too much brown and....brown. There's a little color in the pictures on the wall.

Some terra cotta and lavender in this one.

And red -- my favorite color -- in this one.

So I thought I would add some red. I switched out the tarnished silver tray with stones.

Substituted a china plate with red flowers and other red accents.

I also added a basket with a red plush throw, for those mornings or evenings when I might want to sit out there but it's a bit cold.

Better?

Does the red work? Would you add something else? Can you tell I'm just dreadful (not to mention self-conscious) at this "artful arranging of home furnishings?"

Across from the two chairs is an arrangement of pots, still empty. Later in the Spring, I'll put some shade annuals in them. It's too cold for that right now.


And in another corner of the porch I set up the table and chairs that we used last Summer for simple meals in the evening.

So...that's my back porch, redone. It's simple, because I can handle simple. Honestly, I don't have a very good sense of style. I really love the shabby chic look. But I'm soooooo bad at putting it together.

What would you do if it were your porch?