Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back Porch Redo

Remember this mess?



And this?

I managed to sort through all this, and reorganize it on my new potting bench. I gave the old wooden table away on craigslist. I used a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought some new pieces for the porch, to make a cozy spot to sit and read with a cup of coffee.

What do you think?
It has kind of a zen simplicity to it. I thought maybe it was too plain. Too much brown and....brown. There's a little color in the pictures on the wall.

Some terra cotta and lavender in this one.

And red -- my favorite color -- in this one.

So I thought I would add some red. I switched out the tarnished silver tray with stones.

Substituted a china plate with red flowers and other red accents.

I also added a basket with a red plush throw, for those mornings or evenings when I might want to sit out there but it's a bit cold.

Better?

Does the red work? Would you add something else? Can you tell I'm just dreadful (not to mention self-conscious) at this "artful arranging of home furnishings?"

Across from the two chairs is an arrangement of pots, still empty. Later in the Spring, I'll put some shade annuals in them. It's too cold for that right now.


And in another corner of the porch I set up the table and chairs that we used last Summer for simple meals in the evening.

So...that's my back porch, redone. It's simple, because I can handle simple. Honestly, I don't have a very good sense of style. I really love the shabby chic look. But I'm soooooo bad at putting it together.

What would you do if it were your porch?

15 comments:

  1. I think you can proudly show off your porch! You have worked a little miracle there! It looks super and once you have planted up your lovely pots it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Your pictures on the wall are pretty and I like how you've arranged your pots - they will look fabulous with plants in them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Alison. And it's all about preferences. I actually loved the very calming zen feeling of your original staging figuring the "color" would come from looking out at the garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! I love the sitting areas and the idea of hanging pictures outside. You're helping to inspire me to do something with our front porch. We've lived here 12 years and I still haven't done much with it. Now you can sit out there even in all this rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple is good. You've taken a catchall space and made it in to something special and inviting. Nice going! Can't wait to see how you fill those planters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is perfect and simple! Somethings in life SHOULD be that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, I like simple and the red is a great accent colour. Plants in the containers and a pot on the table, later when the weather permits, will make a very inviting space. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I especially love that you put the blanket out there. I'm always wrapped in a blanket. The pictures are beautiful and the red plate is perfect! I can't wait to see the flowers in the pots. What a wonderful place to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You say you're not good at this "artful arranging", yet you clearly saw ways to improve an already restful and calm spot. I'd say you could definitely give yourself more credit.

    But do you really think you'll have any time at all to sit? I find the minute I sit down, I see some little weed that needs pulling or thing that needs doing in the garden, and I'm up again. It's a gardener's lot in life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison, if that were my porch, I would plunk right down and enjoy the wonderful way you have decorated it! I love the way you have reworked the area into such a cozy sitting place. Red is a favorite color of mine, too, and I love how you incorporated it into your design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alison, I think it's lovely both ways! It should be about what you want and what makes you peaceful :) A lovely covered sitting area..perfect in rain or sun! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alison! Yes, it IS me that you just sent Lupine seeds to!! :) How did you find me?

    I love the red accent!! It makes it pop. What color flowers do you plan to on putting in the pots?

    I think the porch looks absolutely lovely. I wouldn't DARE take a photo of either my front OR back porches right now..lol They are literally covered with pots and bags of soil and WS jugs... it won't be ready for anyone to see til at least May at this rate... hehe

    I love the meal nook. That would be very nice to sit at during an evening meal. We can't eat outdoors around here unless we cover ourselves with mosquito netting first.. they are awful here.. I'm thinking about putting a fan on the porch to turn on whenever we want to sit there.. supposedly mosquito's wings are not strong enough to withstand wind.. we'll see!

    Thanks for the idea on the garden beds.. I'm going to have to really think on this one and figure out where I can get some already 'made' compost .. cheap! :)

    Happy Gardening!
    ~Wendy / Sassyb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your porch looks great! Very inviting. It will really be beautiful once you have some red plants. All I'd add is some red to the table, either a pot of flower and some red to the 'wreath'(?) over the pictures. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it..and the red...is perfect! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Better! Totally better! It’s cool that you only have a few flashy colors. And that didn’t make your porch look drab either. With your remarkable decors, that would be impossible. The paintings, the pebble decorations are amazing! Where did you get the moon and stars wall décor?

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.