Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wildflower Wednesday -- Swelling Buds and Emerging Foliage

For those who haven't been reading my blog for long, I was inspired last summer by a trip to Mt. Rainier with my son and daughter-in-law to create a native wildflower area in one bed of my garden. You can read about that visit here. I planted lots of Fall bulbs (for flowers in Spring) that are natives here in the Pacific Northwest.

We've actually had a few random good weather days in the past week or so, and I've been out in the garden on my hands and knees, weeding and cutting back. I think I pulled the weight of a six-year old child in shot weed/Cardamine hirsuta. It's best to pull this weed as early as possible, because it grows and flowers very quickly, and then produces a seed pod full of hundreds of seeds, that explodes, showering seeds everywhere. While down on my hands and knees, I couldn't help noticing lots of emerging foliage, from the native bulbs and seedlings that I planted last Fall.

Sorry, no picture flowers, but I am so excited by signs of life, that I had to share.





(By the way, yes, I know the little white tags stuck in the ground make the bed look a little silly.  But these are all plants completely unfamiliar to me, whose location I really needed to mark. I'm sure once I get more familiar with my new garden, and more knowledgeable about Pacific Northwest plants, I won't need the tags any more. But for now, they stay and look silly.)



So far, there is no sign of flowers on any of my native shrubs, but lots of emerging leaves.



Hope you didn't mind that there were no flowers. There will be plenty later in the Spring, and you can bet I will post more pictures then!

To see more posts about wildflowers, check out clay and limestone, a blog about native gardening in Tennessee.

8 comments:

  1. I was out pulling shotweed today along with another weed that is trying to take over my garden. You really do have a lot coming up there. I don't have many of those growing here and am looking forward to seeing their blooms. I have tags all over too. I leave them for a year or so until I remember the plant is there, nothing like weeding a perennial and realizing it after it's hanging out of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Alison, you've been weeding already? And to see signs of growing things is wonderful. I was just over visiting your Massachusetts garden on your older post and it was so beautiful. Having come from a garden of that caliber, I can only imagine what your new garden will evolve into, especially since you have a much longer growing season now. I look forward to your spring flowers very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are clearly a passionate gardener and intuitive botanist, that's why you have those little white tags and, no, they really don't look silly at all! I think you're amazing in the way you are so determined to learn all the names and details of all the plants you grow. I can't wait to see this bed develop and to see the show it's going to be putting on for you this spring and summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep the little white tags too, I forget where things are plants when they are dormant and either walk on them or dig them up trying to add something else. Looks like you have lots coming up, looking forward to seeing your spring blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the tags are smart~especially when we are getting to know new plants! Welcome to WW~As you can tell from my post, I am showing plants that will bloom in March and April~So anything goes. gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I love this time of year, I have to check what's coming up every day (weather permitting)...love all those plants, can't wait to see them in a few months when they are in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with this time of the year. I too am constantly checking to see who's coming up and how everyone is doing. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, they are very informative. I had no idea that one of my "weeds" was actually a native wildflower (the Pacific Bleeding Heart! I know that I will learn so much from you! Oh, and if you think the tags look silly, you should see my "modified" tags, plastic spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be doing what you are doing in a month or so. I sometimes think I'd like to move to a couple zones warmer than my 5b Nebraska, but I don't want to live far from my parents or kids and grandkid(s). We're expecting another grandson in April.

    How have you adjusted to your climate change? Does the rain make it hard to dig in the dirt?

    ReplyDelete

Gardening is a solitary activity. But blogging about it is a social phenomenon! I don't make money from my blog by advertising, or use it to drive customers to a business. If you liked my post, or my writing or photography, or even just one picture or turn of phrase, I'd love to hear from you. That's how I get paid.